Friday, September 8, 2017

toddler time: bringing out the baby bumblebees!


Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found BUMBLE BEES! What does a bee say? BUZZZ!



Puppet Song #1 & 2:

Buzz buzz buzz
Bumble bees buzz!
Buzz over here!
Buzz over there!
They buzz up high & they buzz down low
Around & around & around they go
They buzz so loud & they buzz so low
Buzz buzz buzz
Bumblebees buzz 
(tune: 3 blind mice)

Then I asked how many bees we had today? we counted together 1 - 2! (the big bee hand puppet took a break today; we just used the finger puppets this time!)


2 little bumblebees buzzing round a hive
One named Cleo, one named Clive!
Buzz off Cleo, Buzz off Clive!
Buzz back Cleo! Buzz back Clive!


Books We Read:
Buzzy Bee- Parrish (very cute & colorful with sliding pop ups; not many great bee books for toddlers that i could find)






Flannel Board: Here Is a Beehive (Three ways!)

First we did this rhyme on the flannelboard:

Here is a beehive
but where are all the bees?
Hidden away where nobody sees!
Watch them come creeping out of their hive!
(add bees to board one at a time)
1-2-3-4-5- BUZZZZ!!

Then, I told them that they could make their own beehives with their hands &
we repeated it with our hands as a fingerplay.


Here is a beehive (cup hands together)
but where are all the bees?
Hidden away where nobody sees!
Watch them come creeping out of their hive!
(count on fingers)

1-2-3-4-5- 
BUZZZZ!! (shake fingers on both hands)


Finally, I brought out my new beehive prop and passed out bees to all the toddlers! (i printed & laminated a clipart beehive then i cut a hole in the middle & taped it to an old plastic yellow box.)


Here is one more beehive
but where are all the bees?
Hidden away where nobody sees!
Watch them come creeping out of their hive!
(handed out bees to kids one at a time as we counted)

1-2-3-4-5-6......




Once everyone had a bee to hold, we did Hold Your Bee Up High….

...then we sang the Baby Bumble song while holding our baby bees (small bee cut outs purchased in a pack of 36 from amazon):

I’m bringing home my baby bumble bee
Won’t Ms Amy be so proud of me
I’m bringing home my baby bumble bee
OUCH- it stung me!

I’m dancing with my baby bumble bee…WOW! You’re good dancers!
I’m hopping with my baby bumble bee…HEY! Jumping is fun!
I’m passing round my baby bumble bee…OH NO! He’s hiding! Where did he go?
We're bringing back our baby bumble bees (collect bees back in hive)...Good job everyone!







Puppet Song #3: Laurie Berkner’s Bumblebee Buzz Buzz

I just made some clip art puppets to use while the song played. I passed out shaker eggs for the kids to shake during the buzzing parts!

first verse:  sitting in my garden...



verse two: at the pizza place...



last verse: flying thru the air on my balloon!


Craft: Bumblebee puppets




I passed out pre-cut bodies and heads so the kids could color them. Then, I gave white tulle pieces to string thru the hole punch in the body to make wings!! We also added sticky eyes, black construction paper strip antennas and popsicle sticks. Everyone loved the craft, especially the tulle wings!




Great program and two fun groups today! Impossible to choose my favorite parts because it was all so fun! Everyone loved when i pulled out the beehive prop so that was awesome! the craft was a little more complex than i usually do but they really liked it! a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment