Tuesday, July 18, 2017

teddy bear sleepover with special guest Pete the Cat!

Welcome to our annual Stuffed Animal Sleepover!




This year, we have a very special guest: Pete the Cat is here!


Bedtime Books We Read:







Flannel Glove Song: Five Petes in Pajamas




I modified this one from Jbrary's Five Pairs of Pyjamas song; the Petes are just scanned images of the endpapers for Bedtime Blues

There were five Petes in pajamas
Dancing at the pajama party
Five Petes in pajamas
Dancing til it was 7:30
They danced around the room
They danced the hullabaloo
Until one Pete in pajamas said,
“Holy Moly it’s time for bed!”

Count down from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

...Good Night!


Owl Puppet Song: One Little Owl (with puppets pictured above)
by Elizabeth Scofield, modified by me for 4 Owls instead of 5
From Little Stars Learning


One little owl when the moon was new,
Along came another one, and that made two.
Two little owls perched high in the tree,
Along came another one, and that made three.
Three little owls flew to the barn door,
Along came Mama Owl, and that made four.
Four little owls said  "Whoo, whoo, whoo,"
Then they all flapped their wings and away they flew.


Sleepytime Scarf Song: When We Get Ready For Bed
found it on Library Village!

This is the way we wash our face, wash our face, wash our face
This is the way we wash our face 
When we get ready for bed.

What else should we do before bedtime? (brush our teeth, wash our hands, tuck them in)

We got our stuffed friends ready for bed with this song then gave them good night kisses and tucked them in for the night.


Sleepover Postcard Activity:




Right before we moved from the rug to the tables to do our craft, I passed out blank postcards to all the kids. I explained that if they wanted to find out what their teddy bear did at the library during the sleepover, they could put their name and address on a postcard, put a stamp on it and put it in our mailbox. When they return tomorrow to pick up their stuffed friends, they might find a letter from their teddy bear just for them!







Sleepover Craft:





We made owls from white cups from the Dollar Store. I pre-cut yellow eyes and black beaks for the kids to glue on and passed out markers for additional decorating. All the owls turned out AMAZING, each one so unique and different!

After the craft, we read Goodnight Moon and everyone left. We had a nice group of about 18 kids for the program and 13 left their stuffed friends at the library for the night. 

i LOVE LOVE LOVED my Pete the Cat in Pajamas so much!! He was a little bday present to myself a couple of weeks ago. Everyone was mesmerized by my 5 Petes in Pajamas song! The kids' cup owl crafts were all adorable!! Also really liked the scarf song, will keep that part next year.


Sleepover Photos:


truck races!

fishing with Pete the Cat!

we love the new cash register!

hide & seek with the fruits and veggies!

puzzle fun!

SURPRISE!!!

Light Up LEGOS are super cool!



Pick Up Time:

So I usually take a group shot & a bunch of smaller group pics and make little packets for each participant. This year, in an effort to streamline things, I decided to try postcards instead. I have some post office dramatic play toy sets so they were perfect for this event. 

I posted the pics from the night before on my biggest flannel board so everyone could see them; they were posted on FB too! The group shot pics were glued to one side of the postcards along with a short message that I wrote for each animal. I really liked this change and since there were less photos to print & I didn't have to send them to a photo lab, place an order, pick them up, etc., it was less expensive and a little bit easier for me.

Instead of using name tags this year, I had a "Sleepover Check In Sheet" where I listed the child's name AND their stuffed animal's name along with a short description if necessary. It was an absolute life saver when I was doing the photos and postcards. 

As usual, all participants was given a few goodies to bring home: tattoos, tiny notebooks, library card holder keychains, gold medals, & pencils.

This is always a big event for me that requires lots of planning and prep time; the time crunch always stresses me out EVERY YEAR!! But the positive feedback from parents, kids and my fellow staff members really makes it all worthwhile. Something about this program is just really special. People remember it for years and years; that's why i keep doing it every summer.
















No comments:

Post a Comment