Friday, April 21, 2017

toddler time: 3 - 2 - 1 - blast off!



Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found a cool ROCKET!

Our song and flannel board are from Welcome to Storytime!


I’m a little rocket, tall and thin.  [stand with arms stretched overhead]
Here is my nose cone.  [fingertips meet overhead to form cone]
Here is my fin. [hold arms from sides pointing down like fins]
When I get all fired up,
Launch begins.
Watch me rise  [jump up]
And see me spin! [spin in place]

I sang this once with my rocketship in my hand, then again with motions so everyone could join in. it was awesome!! 

i must have looked even sillier than usual because people were like "wow!"


Books We Read: 
I Want to Be an Astronaut- Barton (session #1)
Rocket Countdown Sharratt (both sessions)
High Higher- Patricelli (session #2)



Flannel Board: Five Little Rockets

I placed the rockets on the board then we added some other items to make the board look more like outer space!

Five little rockets ready to zoom,
This one says, “There’s not enough room.”
It starts its engine;
Ready to fly,
Looks at the others and waves good-bye.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blast off!

I read a neat trick about stapling rubber bands to your rockets so you can flick them into the air & I gave it a try. Everyone really liked that part, as well as counting down each time. Really helped to keep everyone’s attention.

Puppet Rhyme: Zoom Zoom Zoom

I brought out my sun, moon and star puppets for this one. Again, the counting down and blasting off was so fun! See Jbrary for more on this terrific fingerplay.





Craft: Rockets

I printed the clipart rockets on colorful cardstock & cut them out. I cut circles from shiny silver paper for kids to glue on as windows. We added star stickers and streamers. The rockets came out sooo cute!!

Two full really fun sessions today! LOVED my craft & the Sharratt book was amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment