Friday, September 2, 2016

toddler time: who's counting?

Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found monkeys! How many monkeys do we have? Let’s COUNT them: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 – five monkeys! 




Do you know what these monkeys like to do? They love to jump! Would you like a monkey puppet to hold for our puppet song?

I passed out monkey stick puppets printed from HERE. So cute! I laminated them so I could re-use them again someday!




Puppet Song: Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed








Books We Read: 
123 Counting Fun- Tiger Tales
1,2,3 In the Sea- Decicco








Flannel Board:  Here Is a Beehive

Here is a beehive?
But where are all the bees?
Hidden away
Where nobody sees.
Watch them come creeping out of their hive:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 – BUZZZZZZZZ

We also tried the fingerplay version after they watched me do this rhyme on the flannel board.





Craft: Here Is a Beehive Craft

I glued gold beehives to paper plates in advance. The kids and parents colored five bumble bees, cut them out and glued them to the plate. We added a ribbon taped to the back so they could carry them home and hang them up. Very cute!



Two decent sized sessions today, not too mobbed on a beautiful morning with the Labor Day weekend starting tomorrow. This was a good theme because there are soooo many nice counting books to choose from. I went with the most basic ones I could find and was very happy with my choices. 

We finished each session with my secret weapon: a fantastic pop up book from many years ago called If You're Happy and You Know It by David Carter (WHY IS THIS OUT OF PRINT?!!!! it's the best book ever!!) My second session had a bunch of runners today; it was pretty challenging to concentrate. Then, someone started throwing their Minnie doll up in the air and who can compete with that as far as toddlers go? I had to ask for Minnie to be tucked away for the rest of our class. sorry, Minnie!

No comments:

Post a Comment