Friday, September 30, 2016

toddler time: colorful squirrels

Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found a little baby SQUIRREL! Would you like to pet him? He is so soft! We talked about his tail, his eyes, etc. 


love these puppets!

Wait a minute, where is this little squirrel’s mother? I pulled out a bigger squirrel puppet from my basket and sang:

Two furry squirrels sitting on a wall
One named BIG, the other named small.
Run away BIG! Run away small!
Come back BIG! Come back small!





Books We Read: 
The Very Busy Squirrel- Tafuri (I love this book so much but many of the kids and parents showed little interest.)

Flannel Board:  Colorful Squirrels




First, I showed everyone my tree stump that is also a house for my friend Brown Squirrel. See the cute little door?

There is a song we can sing to make Brown Squirrel change to a different color, let’s try it!

Put a squirrel in the magic tree stump!
Shake it, shake it, shake it a bunch!
Take him out and what do you see?
A cute little squirrel as RED as can be!

Of course, I had other squirrels hiding in the stump and I just switched them out for the brown squirrels as we sang each verse and put them up on the felt board. Magic! 




Do you see any other squirrels in the room? Here’s one!

Before class, I hid four other brown squirrels around the room but close by so they would be easy to grab.

Repeat with other squirrels. We ended up with red, yellow, green, blue and purple. At the end, we counted up all the colorful squirrels. Some of the kids were really mesmerized!

Squirrel Songs: 

I had some plastic acorns from a while back so I pointed out the acorn in Squirrel's hands and passed out acorns to each child.

Put your acorn up high!
Put your acorn down low!
Hold your acorn and turn around!
Put your acorn up high!
Put your acorn down low!
Put your acorn on the ground!

Then I passed out scarves to be our squirrel tails for:

Brown Squirrel, Brown Squirrel, shake your bushy tail!
Brown Squirrel, Brown Squirrel, shake your bushy tail!
Wrinkle up your little nose!
Hold a nut between your toes!
Brown Squirrel, Brown Squirrel, shake your bushy tail!

I tried to do Jbrary's version with all the colors but decided to call it a day! Instead I just called out the colors, collected the scarves, and started the craft.

Craft: Squirrel Collages




I printed a cute little coloring page cut in a circular shape. The kids colored, then glue it onto a paper plate. 




I passed out strips of streamers in fall colors for the kids to glue onto the edges of the plate. It was really pretty and perfect for fall.

A cold rainy fall morning here. The first session was very small with about 14 kids; the second session was busier with about 22. Everyone liked the acorns but it's better to hand them out towards the end of the class because they start rolling them, throwing them or banging them on the tables and its very annoying. 

The first session was kind of wild with a couple of kids that just wanted to run. I finally had to make a quick announcement to please take out any kids who are not interested for a break and return in a few minutes or come back for crafts or playtime. Things really improved after that. The second session was a lot better but still some distractions, chatting, etc.  Not my best day...

... but at the end of the late class, a woman told me that my class was the best one they'd ever been to which made me feel a little better! Sometimes I think children's librarians are hardest on ourselves and while we focus on the bad stuff and feel like we really bombed today, someone participating might not notice the missteps at all! In their eyes, the program was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment