Friday, September 9, 2016

toddler time: animals at the pond

Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found a turtle! What color is a turtle? Would you like to come up and pet this turtle?


Image result for folkmanis little turtle
Little Turtle from Folkmanis

Puppet Song: Turtle, Turtle
(tune: “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”)
Turtle, turtle moves so slow,
Crawling, crawling, watch him go.
At the pond he looks around,
See his head move up and down.
Turtle, turtle wants to swim,
Now he slides and dives right in!
--PreschoolExpress





Puppet Song #2:

Old MacDonald Had a Pond
Old MacDonald had a pond ee-i ee-i-oh!
And on that pond he had a turtle ee-i ee-i-oh!!
With a snap snap here and a snap snap there!
here a snap, there a snap
everywhere a snap  snap
Old MacDonald had a pond ee-i ee-i-oh!

(repeat with fish/splash, duck/quack, frog/hop)

Other Perfect Pond Songs:

I Wish I Was a Fishy in the Pond 
(Tune: “If You're Happy and You Know It”) 
Oh, I wish I was a fishy in the pond, 
Oh, I wish I was a fishy in the pond, 
I'd swim around down there. 
I’d swim from here to there.
Oh, I wish I was a fishy in the pond.

Repeat with: Turtle/dive, frog/hop


The Turtle in the Pond
(tune: the Wheels on the Bus)
The turtle in the pond goes snap snap snap
snap snap snap
snap snap snap
The turtle in the pond goes snap snap snap
all morning long

Repeat with Frog/hop, Duck/quack, fish/splash






Books We Read: 
Frog & Friends: What Am I? (so cute!)
Pond Babies- Falwell (love it!)




clipart from Etsy; kids loved it!


Flannel Board:  5 Baby Turtles

One baby turtle alone and new. 
Finds a friend, and then there are two. 
Two baby turtles crawl down to the sea. 
They find another, and then there are three. 
Three baby turtles crawl along the shore. 
They find another, and then there are four. 
Four baby turtles go for a dive. 
Up swims another, and then there are five. 
from HERE




Craft: Pop Up Turtles

For info and a link to the template, see my previous blog post here. This craft is so simple but it's always a hit with the kids! We tied a small green piece of yarn so they could make their turtles "crawl" along the table.

Two decent sized groups today (20 kids in early session, 14 kids in later one) and everyone was so wonderfully behaved! Cute theme and a great morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment