Friday, July 22, 2016

toddler time: from caterpillar to butterfly!

Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found a caterpillar! What color is our caterpillar? Green!




Puppet Song: I'm a Caterpillar (tune: Skip To My Lou) 

I'm a caterpillar, wiggle with me,
I'm a caterpillar, wiggle with me,
I'm a caterpillar, wiggle with me,
What'll I be, my darlin'?

Spin a cocoon just like me
Spin a cocoon just like me
Spin a cocoon just like me
What'll I be my darlin'?

wrap caterpillar in a scarf!

I'm in my cocoon, sleep like me
I'm in my cocoon, sleep like me
I'm in my cocoon, sleep like me
What'll I be my darlin'?

Now I'm a butterfly, fly with me
Now I'm a butterfly, fly with me
Now I'm a butterfly, fly with me
Come fly with me, my darlin!


Pass out caterpillars to all the kids.

Hold your caterpillars up
Hold your caterpillars down
Hold your caterpillars and turn around
Hold your caterpillars up
Hold your caterpillars down
Put your caterpillars on the the ground!


What's on the other side of your caterpillar, can you turn it over? A butterfly!
We repeated with the butterfly side up instead:

Hold your butterfly up....






Books We Read:
Caterpillar's Wish- Murphy (held their attention=great!)


Flannel Board:  Five Little Caterpillars

I tweaked this a little but I borrowed this idea from HERE.



My cute clip art caterpillars (from etsy) have butterflies on the reverse side!

5 caterpillars spun cocoons (spin hands like 'the wheels on the bus')
Hoping they'd be butterflies soon. (Cross your fingers)
With a little bit of magic (Wiggle fingers in the air)
And some warm sunshine, (show sun puppet)
Clap, clap, clap for a butterfly! (encourage clapping then flip the caterpillar over)



Craft: Kids colored their caterpillar/butterflies and taped them to a popsicle sticks to make a puppet.



We also made plastic bag butterflies, one of my favorite crafts! 


Two great groups today!  (25 kids for early class, 18 kids for second one) The flannel board was so fun and everyone LOVED the plastic bag butterflies. my favorite part came during the first session when I turned the caterpillar puppet into a butterfly and the adults all started clapping!!! Lots of hugs today and a wonderful theme. 


No comments:

Post a Comment