Friday, July 8, 2016

toddler time: fishy fun with Nemo & Dory

Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found two fishies: Nemo and Dory!



This isn’t the best rhyme but no one seemed to notice!

Two little fishies swimming in the sea
One named Nemo, one named Dory
Swim away Nemo, Swim away Dory
Come back Nemo, Come back Dory!




Books We Read: 
Hooray for Fish- Cousins
Come Swim with Me- Disney (everyone loved this)
I Spy Under the Sea- Gibbs (worked great for me! Ignored the counting/number part of the book but when I flipped the page to reveal the animal, I waved and we all greeted each one, "Hi Dolphin!", "Hi, Clownfish!")





Flannel Board:  Hide and Seek with Nemo and Dory

Nemo and Dory are playing hide and seek!
Is a fish hiding under the pink shell?
Let’s take a peek!

Repeat until you find both fishies! 


Scarf Song: The Fish in the Sea (Jbrary)

You can watch the video HERE.

The fish in the sea
Go swish, swish, swish,(wave scarf side to side)
swish, swish, swish, swish, swish, swish
The fish in the sea go swish, swish, swish
All day long.

Verses:
Dolphins in the sea Swim round and round 

The sand in the sea Drifts down, down, down 

The waves on the sea Go up and down





Craft: Dory Fish/collage puppet

I searched everywhere for a quick, easy, age-appropriate Dory craft and decided on some kind of coloring activity. A couple of days later, I found these blue fish in the teacher section at Dollar Tree and I knew they were absolutely perfect for Dory! We decorated with tissue paper and taped on popsicle sticks. 

We had two large groups today and it was crazy. Lots of new faces which I love to see, but the newcomers don't know the routine yet. so they talk while I'm reading and dump bowls full of tissue paper squares all over the floor without bothering to pick them up. They give me dirty looks when I ask them to stop chatting. Lots of wild kids today for some reason. I know this was a good program so I'm not blaming myself for once. The kids LOVED seeing Dory & Nemo. The books and flannel board worked great! The scarf song was a hit and the craft was adorable. But the parents would not stop talking. It was a hard day.

1 comment:

  1. Chatting, oblivious caregivers are the WORST. Such a great example of respectful listening for the kiddies, eh? One strategy that sometimes helps is to only have a few chairs available in the back for older caregivers and people who can't sit on the floor (not just don't want to), and to have caregivers sit together with their children on the floor - it's harder to chat with your neighbor when you have a singing child on your lap, and it encourages caregivers to actually interact with their children during the program. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete