Friday, June 3, 2016

toddler time: taking flight

Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found an AIRPLANE! Does an airplane do? It flies through the air!




Puppet Song: I'm A Little Airplane

(tune: I'm a Little Teapot)
I’m a little airplane in the sky
I start out low then I fly up high.
When it’s time to land, my wheels come down.
And then I gently touch the ground.

Books We Read: 
Maisy’s Plane- Cousins
Hello Airplane- Cotter

Flannel Board:  Five Little Airplanes

First, I put numbers 1-5 on the board and we said their names out loud. Then, we counted our fingers on one hand together and waved them around in the air like planes.



5 little airplanes flying in the sky
Come in for a landing from way up high.

The first little airplane shining in the sun
Is the first to land on runway number ONE.

The second little airplane is carrying its crew
Is the next to land on runway number TWO.

The third little airplane is such a sight to see.
It lands quietly on runway number THREE.

The fourth little airplane can’t wait anymore.
It quickly lands on runway number FOUR.

The fifth little airplane is the last one to arrive.
And finally lands on runway number FIVE.

Let’s count up all our airplanes – 1 2 3 4 5!





Craft: Airplane Puppets.



I printed these on white cardstock and pre-cut them. The kids decorated with crayons and stickers, and taped them to a jumbo popsicle stick. I mentioned to everyone that although these toddlers aren't reading yet, it was still great to fill in their names where it said “Thanks for flying with…” because it is never too early for little ones to start seeing their names in print.

I was feeling kind of blah about today’s theme but everyone loved it! The craft and the flannel story were my favorite parts. Two decent sized groups today of about 16-18 kids per session. 




No comments:

Post a Comment