Friday, April 22, 2016

toddler time: wonderful weather

Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found an umbrella! How many raindrops are under our umbrella? 1-2-3-4!

I pulled out my other weather puppets and we sang:




Song: What's the Weather? (tune: Clementine)

What's the weather, what's the weather, what's the weather out today?
Is it windy?
Is it snowy?
Is it sunny out today?

What's the weather, what's the weather, what's the weather out today?
Is it cloudy?
Is it rainy?
What's the weather out today?

I passed out blue paper raindrops to everyone for our rhyme:

Hold your raindrop up high
hold your raindrop down low
hold your raindrop and turn around.
Hold your raindrop up high
hold your raindrop down low
put your raindrop on the ground.





Books We Read: 
Maisy's Wonderful Weather Day- Cousins (great!)
Kipper's Rainy Day- Inkpen (cute!)
One Rainy Day- Salzano (no time today!)



Flannel Board: Five Umbrellas




I based this one on the rhyme I found here. I printed all of the clipart from mycutegraphics.com. I printed on both sides so that I could flip them over during the story.

Five umbrellas waiting for rain to pour,
One was picked by Penguin, and now there are four.

Four umbrellas, saying pick me, pick me!
One was taken by Owl, and now there are three.

Three umbrellas, wondering what to do,
One was chosen by Bunnies, and now there are two.

Two umbrellas waiting for some fun,
One was picked by Alligator and now there is one.

One little umbrella, the rain is all done,
He went home with a cute little girl and now there are none.






Craft: Weather Wheels (from Storytime Katie)




This was a fun craft, pretty easy to prep too. Just passed out foam snowflakes and cotton balls for snow and clouds. I pre-printed and cut clipart umbrellas and suns for the kids to color. 

They glued everything on and then I passed out clothespins with the words "What's the weather?" Parents seemed to really like this! 

One tip: the hardest part for me was drawing lines on the plates to make the wedges or quarters -- I could not get them even for some reason. I finally cut a plate in half and used that to draw my lines which was much easier than using a ruler for me.

Kind of crazy today, lots of kids both sessions. Very loud in the room. May try using a headset microphone soon, tired of shushing everyone. Flannel board was kind of meh. Maybe I should have used puppets?  The craft and Maisy book were fun, as well as my weather song.

No comments:

Post a Comment