Friday, March 18, 2016

toddler time: catch a rainbow!

Mystery Box: Inside our polka dotted box, we found a RAINBOW! 




Well, obviously, not a real one but sort of! 
I tied a bunch of scarves together to make one really long rainbow of all different colors. I handed one end to a parent and extended the scarf one color at a time: RED - ORANGE - YELLOW - GREEN - BLUE and PURPLE!


I handed out scarves to all the children.

We said:
Hold your scarf up high
Hold it down low 
Hold your scarf and turn around!

Hold your scarf up high
Hold it down low 
Put your scarf on the ground.

Then,

One bright scarf waiting for the wind to blow
Wiggle it high
Wiggle it low
Shake it fast
Shake it slow
Put it behind your back
Where did it go???

Finally, I told the kids we were making a rainbow in the sky so count to three and throw your scarf in the air:

1, 2, 3!

The first session, I let the kids keep their scarves for the rest of the program. A few kept tossing them up in the air for the rest of the class, slightly distracting.
The second session, I collected the scarves at this point even though I was afraid someone might cry. A couple tried to pull them off my table for a while. Persistent!






Books We Read: 
Duckie’s Rainbow- Barry





Flannel Board: Rainbow Stew

I love this flannel board, so fun to do! See this previous post for more info. The kids in the second session were completely silent which rarely happens!



I think mine is from Amazon but it looks like this one.

Parachute Songs: From Storytime All Stars

I have a small parachute that I sometimes use for Baby & Me. I told the kids that I had something in my basket with lots of colors on it and pulled it out for a few minutes. They were not used to holding it but the parents helped. The first session went great; in the second session, one boy got super excited/noisy but nothing terrible, then we moved on to the craft and playtime. Most kids and adults really liked it!


Red and yellow, green and blue 
These are the colors over you
Red as a flower, green as a tree, 
yellow as the sun, and blue as the sea
Red and yellow, green and blue 
These are the colors over you.
(To the tune of “Twinkle Twinkle”)




The parachute goes up
the parachute goes down 
the parachute goes up and up 
and then it goes back down
(Sing this a couple of times faster and slower to the tune of “The Farmer in the Dell”) 




If You’re Happy and You Know It, shake it fast!
(repeat with shake it slow and lift it high)








Craft: Rainbow Bears

I found this adorable template on Kindergarten Rocks



I resized everything to save paper/cardstock. I printed heads yellow, bodies red, etc. Luckily, a page cut everything out for me so all the kids had to do was color them and attach with stick glue. They came out AMAZING!! Plus, there is so much you can talk about with this bear: what color is his face? what color is his belly? how many arms does he have, etc.

Two great sessions today! The first one was slightly smaller. My favorite parts were the flannel board and the craft. Only got thru one book though. Still a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment