Friday, December 11, 2015

toddler time: running with reindeer

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a reindeer! 




Reindeer have two antlers. (I brought my antler headband to wear so that was pretty fun!)

What do reindeer like to eat?

I brought out a basket of laminated reindeer food: cabbage and carrots.




(I passed out reindeer food to all the kids & we did our weekly rhyme.)

There are numbers and letters on our reindeer food, what do you have? 

(I figured it wouldn't hurt to sneak in a tiny bit of letter/number recognition! It was cool to hear the parents and kids discuss this!)

Put your reindeer food UP, put your reindeer food DOWN
Hold your reindeer food and turn around!
Put your reindeer food UP, put your reindeer food DOWN
Put your reindeer food down on the ground.

All the kids fed their reindeer food to my reindeer friend who was super hungry today!




I found this idea and the printable food here
For more on how I made my reindeer, see my Flannel Friday post.


Books We Read: 
Reindeer Are Better Than People- cute!
Bob- Boynton (fun to read aloud and not too Christmas-y)







Flannel Board Story: 5 Little Reindeer

5 little reindeer playing in the snow.
The first one said "Let's go, go, go!"
The second one said, "I see snowflakes in the air!"
The third one said, "But we don't care!"
The fourth one said, "Isn't winter time fun?"
The fifth one said, "Let's run and run and run!"
and oooooooh went the wind!
and OUT (CLAP) went the light
And the 5 little reindeer ran out of sight!


Craft: Reindeer finger puppets

A simple craft this week, just a printable on white cardstock to be colored and cut.

Both sessions today were super easy!! Great groups! In order to be inclusive, I usually try to stay away from really Christmas-y themes at the holidays and stick with more neutral stuff. None of my books, songs or stories today mentioned a specific holiday or a certain reindeer named Rudolph. Some illustrations included a candy cane or two, and a little bit of red and green, but that felt pretty non-religious to me. Who doesn't love Sven? A fun day!


No comments:

Post a Comment