Saturday, December 19, 2015

class visits: Dewey -- a game of numbers!

This month, a local school set up library visits for all of their fourth grade classes to learn about the Dewey Decimal System. 

Sounds like a real snooze fest, right? So, I really needed a fun, simple game that would keep their attention.

After a lot of web surfing, I created my own display with printouts about the ten classification groups. 



  




I also filled a big milk crate with TONS of non-fiction books. 






At the beginning of the class, as an ice breaker, I asked for one volunteer to take a guess how many books are in my crate. 

Then, I announced that I was looking for one book (maybe one on penguins? fairies? anything works really) & how long did they think it would take to look thru the 82 books in the crate to find it for me? The answer: a loooooong time. Correct!! 

Now, what if you had to look thru not one crate, but TEN? how about FIFTY crates? what about a whole room full of book crates? would you want to look for books in the library like that? No way! 

So, we talk a little about non-fiction/fiction, Dewey and spine labels, then go over my display board. Finally, it's game time!





I found these assignment cards that I edited a little bit and printed out. The kids volunteered to pick one out of my hat and answer what Dewey Number (by hundred, so - 100's, 500's, 900's, etc.)  we would go to to complete the "assignment". 


The other classmates vote whether our volunteer is correct with a "thumbs up" or a "thumbs down", then we open a card to reveal the actual dewey number for the assignment. A couple of times, a student was really struggling so I let them bring up a friend to help.





As a bonus, we put each call number in correct shelving order as we go along.

Every volunteer gets a cool color-changing pencil just for participating!

I have to say, this was a super fun game. All the kids wanted to volunteer and the voting part keeps them engaged even when it's not their turn. I received a lot of compliments and positive feedback from the teachers. Many of the parents even commented on how much fun the kids were having -- in the library of all places! SHOCKING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment