Friday, November 13, 2015

toddler time: going hungry

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a very special storytime guest: the Very Hungry Caterpillar! 


I LOVE this puppet!
Many of the kids yelled unexpected things when I opened the yellow box & revealed the caterpillar puppet, like an apple (red kinda makes sense) and a bunny (antennas?)


We sang:

I’m the hungry caterpillar just for you (munch munch)
I’m the hungry caterpillar just for you (munch munch)
I ate too much food, now I have to build a cocoon
I’m the hungry caterpillar just for you (munch munch)
(tune: If You’re Happy…)

This caterpillar is very hungry for food today. Would you like a piece of caterpillar food to hold?





I passed out paper food to all the kids & we did our weekly rhyme.

Put your food UP, put your food DOWN
Hold your food and turn around!
Put your food UP, put your food DOWN
Put your food down on the ground.

Later in the program, I asked all the kids to bring their foods up & place them in the basket so out caterpillar could eat them later.








Books We Read: 
The Very Hungry Caterpillar- Carle (read 1st)
Who’s Hungry- Hacochen (so cute!! 1st session only)







Puppet/Flannel Board Story: Fruits are Very Good for Me

Fruits are Very Good for Me, Ee i ee i oh!
And so I eat them happily, Ee i ee i oh!
With a pear here and a pear there
Here a pear, there a pear, everywhere a pear
Fruits are Very Good for Me, Ee i ee i oh!
(Tune: The Farmer in the Dell)

Repeated with other fruits!








Craft: Paper Loop Caterpillars

I found this terrific craft idea here.

Take three strips of green paper and tape each one end to end, to make three green circles or loops. 

Next, color a caterpillar face. 

Then, just tape the three loops together and attach the caterpillar head. So easy!


close up view



So the first session was on the small side with about 14 kids. 

Everything went great except I totally forgot the tune for my first caterpillar song -- ugh, so embarrassing. 

The second session was mobbed, some adults talking but not as bad as last week. I think I need a wireless mic. 

This craft was so cute, probably my favorite part of the program! 


No comments:

Post a Comment