Friday, October 30, 2015

toddler time: pumpkins, pumpkins, everywhere!

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a pumpkin! What color is a pumpkin?




I passed out paper pumpkins to all the kids & we did this song instead of our weekly rhyme:

The pumpkins are here. The pumpkins are there.
The pumpkins, the pumpkins are everywhere.

The pumpkins are up. The pumpkins are down.
The pumpkins, the pumpkins are all around.

The pumpkins are in. The pumpkins are out.
The pumpkins, the pumpkins are all about.

The pumpkins are low. The pumpkins are high.
The pumpkins, the pumpkins all say,  "Goodbye!"





Books We Read: 
It's Pumpkin Day Mouse- Numeroff
Llama, Llama, Trick or Treat - Dewdney (short & sweet)


Puppet Story: Pumpkin Stew

everyone wants to help make pumpkin stew!


I found this fantastic idea on a Jbrary blog post that linked me to Sturdy for Common Things. I love this! I used puppets to bring all the ingredients and asked everyone to join in the chanting and stirring of "Pumpkin stew, pumpkin stew! Let's cook up some pumpkin stew!"


i think i'll pass!

Felt Story: I found this cute pumpkin flannel board here. (Due to time, I only used it with a local preschool visit. Saving it for next year!)



Five Giant Pumpkins
Five giant pumpkins sitting on the floor
One became a pumpkin pie, and then there were four.

Four giant pumpkins, orange as they can be,
One became a jack o' lantern, and then there were three.

Three giant pumpkins, enormous, it's true,
One became a carriage for Cinderella, and then there were two.

Two giant pumpkins underneath the sun,
One got first prize at the fair, and then there was one.

One giant pumpkin sitting all alone.
I picked one up, and carried it home.






Perfect Pumpkin Song:




Feelings Jack O Lanterns (with printable puppets from one of my all time most favorite blogs: Sunflower Storytime)
(Tune: If You’re Happy and You Know It)

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it, then you’ll really want to show it.
If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.

If you’re grumpy and you know it, stomp your feet,
If you’re silly and you know it, wiggle around,
If you’re sad and you know it, rub your eyes (“boo hoo”),
If you’re surprised and you know it, say “Oh my!"




Craft: Paper Plate Pumpkin Masks 



I was super excited about this art project that I found on Pinterest  -- a great photo op, too. I cut the middles out of 50 paper plates. I also cut cardboard pumpkin stems in advance.

First, I passed out half sheets of green paper so parents could trace the toddlers’ hands and cut them out for the pumpkin leaf.

Then, they glued smallish pieces of orange streamers to their plates. They taped the stems and leaves on the top, and jumbo popsicle sticks on the bottom for handles.

This project seemed like a lot of work for the parents. It seemed to take a while. Next time, I might pre-cut the leaves to eliminate that whole step. Also, the toddlers didn’t seem to like holding the masks up to their faces. Hmmm…

It was a strange morning here. We had a lot of kids but many of my “regulars” were missing. During the second session, one little boy would not stop fussing and he was right by my table. I had to stop & wait for quiet a couple of times because I couldn’t hear anything. Finally, I had to ask his mom to take him out to the hall & come back when he was ready. I felt terrible doing this but I have to think about the other children who are trying to listen. Many of our attendees seemed a little grumpier than usual today, maybe too much holiday excitement?

Anyway, the craft was just ok for me. The Pumpkin Day book was cute, but I kinda prefer Pumpkin Faces. I do like the page with the sad pumpkin though. 

The Pumpkin Stew story was soooo fun! My favorite part was probably singing If You’re Happy and You Know It with the pumpkin puppets; that was amazing!!!! I was nervous to do the “Surprised” puppet, but it was the best one for sure! A good reminder to take a chance & try something new once in a while!

Today's costume! Of course, we had to sing the Jbrary banana song

Bananas Unite!










No comments:

Post a Comment