Monday, September 21, 2015

toddler time: amazing apples

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found an owl holding a big red apple!!! What does an owl say? Who likes apples?





I passed out red paper apples to all the kids & we did our weekly rhyme.





Put your apple UP, put your apple DOWN
Hold your apple and turn around!
Put your apple UP, put your apple DOWN
Put your apple down on the ground.




Books We Read: 
Pepo and Lolo and the Red Apple- Larranga
5 Little Apples- Yonezu








Felt Story: 5 Little Apples with felt tree

5 little apples sitting in a tree
Teasing Mr Slinky Worm
You can’t eat me!
along comes Mr Slinky Worm as quiet as can be
And CRUNCHES that apple right out of the tree!

Repeat 4 3 2 1



Adorable Apple Song:

From the wonderful librarians at Jbrary: Way Up High in the Apple Tree







Prop Story: The Apple Seed

I wanted to try this song as a book or with puppets since my felt version is small and my toddler group is usually large! so I printed the images on cardstock and held them up one at a time as I sang each line.

A little tiny apple seed was planted in the ground
Out came the rain, falling all around.
Out came the sun, as bright as bright can be
And the tiny little apple seed became an apple tree!
(tune: I’m a Little Teapot)

Great intro to apples!







Craft: Apple paper plates

I really wanted a craft that did not involve coloring something and taping to a popsicle stick, since my crafts were feeling a bit repetitive lately! This project was SOOOOO easy! 

First, I passed out half sheets of red paper & told the kids to rip it into pieces. Then I brought out small paper plates and glue sticks, as well as pre-cut green leaves and brown stems and... voila! A lovely homemade apple craft and not a craft stick or crayon in sight!

Today, we had a small-ish first session and a larger second one, for a change. I loved my craft and the puppet songs too. The books were okay too!


No comments:

Post a Comment