Friday, September 18, 2015

preschool fun: crazy about cowboys





Books We Read:
Clip Clop - Smee
Gingerbread Cowboy- Squires
She'll be Coming Around the Mountain- Emmet
Let's Sing a Lullabye with the Brave Cowboy- Thomas
Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse- Janni (thought the girls would appreciate it but WAYYY too long for my kids)

Flannel Story: I Am a Cowboy/girl (tune: I'm a Little Teapot)




I am a cowboy, see me ride!
with my dog running by my side.
we look after the cattle all day
and rest by the campfire at the end of the day.

I am a cowgirl, see me ride!
with my dog running by my side.
we take care of the cows all day
and sleep in a tent at the end of the day.

To save time, I searched the web for clip art to print out and laminate.


Cute Cowboy Songs:

Cowboy Pokey (Put your lasso, hat, spurs and ride your horse in!)

If You're a Cowboy and You Know It

5 Little Ponies

10 Little Cowboys








Cowboy Craft:
 I found these adorable printable puppets here. I printed them on white card stock (2 sets to a page.) Kids decorated with crayons and taped them to popsicle sticks.


ugh, all i can say is probably my WORST program ever! I was really looking forward to this fun theme so its so disappointing. 

Only 3 girls and 2 babies attended and none of them were the slightest bit interested in any of my books or songs. Two moms just wanted to chat with each other right over my stories. The kids brought a giant bag filled with toys to play with. Combined with zero participation, I finally closed the book mid-story, passed out the craft materials and called it a day. Very frustrating experience.

with low preschool attendance for a long LONG time, we will be eliminating this monthly program after December to focus on other age groups. I've been trying to continue it for so long, rationalizing that if i don't spend too much time on prep and planning, its ok, but the audience just is not there anymore with UPKs servicing the area. My preschool programs used to be the highlight of my month before I started my baby & toddler ones so it's hard to let go but it's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment