Saturday, August 29, 2015

toddler time: something fishy

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a fish! What color is it?

I held up my orange fish puppet while we sang this song to the tune of I’m A Little Teapot:

I'm a little fishy, watch me swim!
Here is my tail. Here are my fins.
When I want to have fun with my friends
I wiggle my tail and dive right in!

I passed out paper fishes to all the kids & we did our weekly rhyme:

Put your fish UP, put your fish DOWN
Hold your fish and turn around!
Put your fish UP, put your fish DOWN
Put your fish down on the ground.






Books We Read: 
Fish. Swish! Splash. Dash! - MacDonald



Fabulous Fish Action Song: Bubble Bubble POP!

I learned this terrific song today on Jbrary. I used orange to start since that was the color of my puppet.

One little orange fish swimming in the water
Swimming in the water, swimming in the water
One little orange fish swimming in the water
Bubble bubble bubble bubble bubble bubble POP!

We repeated with 2 red and 3 blue!


Shark Prop:




I found this on a Flannel Friday post by the always awesome blog Sunflower Storytime. I knew it would be perfect for collecting my fishies back from the kids to use again for the next session! 

I showed the toddlers how to feed the shark and everyone came up to put their fishy in his mouth. I used the terrific printable here. I needed this ASAP, of course! so while I would have loved to make something lovely using felt,  I simply printed the template on light gray copy paper, added some white paper teeth and laminated the whole thing to make it sturdy. Finally, I taped it to an empty tissue box. (I am forever emptying containers of stuff to re-use for my job, its crazy!! Now, I have a random pile of box-less kleenex sitting on my desk.) Worked out great and super fast!!



Flannel Story: Five Little Fishies (with Shark puppet)

First, I put some light blue waves on my flannel board to be the sea. Then, I added my fishies one at a time and we counted them together.

5 little fishies swimming in the sea
Teasing Mr Shark, “Oh you can’t catch me!”
Along comes Mr Shark as quiet as can be…
And snatches that fishy right out of the sea!

Countdown to zero.

No little fishies swimming in the sea
Poor Mr Shark is as lonely as can be!


Craft: Fish puppets




I cut simple fish shapes from construction paper. The kids decorated with crayons, sticky wiggle eyes and shiny star stickers. We attached a ribbon so they could hang them up at home. My original plan was to attach pretty crepe paper tails but the first session was just WAAAAY too many people for that and the second session seemed content without the fancy-ness. Sometimes simple really is better, I guess!

My first session today was mobbed! The second one was pretty small. Great theme and I LOVED the Bubble song and flannel story best.

No comments:

Post a Comment