Saturday, July 18, 2015

toddler time: fabulous fruit

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found an apple, a banana & an orange! 



What do we do with these things – do we wear them on our heads? NOOOO! Do we eat them up? These foods are FRUITS!

We passed out paper fruits (clipart printed from the internet) to all the kids and did our weekly rhyme. 




Put your fruits UP, put your fruits DOWN
Hold your fruits and turn around!
Put your fruits UP, put your fruits DOWN
Put your fruits down on the ground.


Later in the program, I brought out my friend Mr Bear (just a box with a bear face!) and everyone fed him their fruit card. He was super hungry! 

I shamelessly copied Mr Bear and also the flannel board idea below from Sunflower Storytime!! And someday I vow to copy the adorable bear finger puppets she made too!!!






Books We Read: 
The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear- Wood (a little tiny bit long for my guys but so fun!!!)
Guess What: Fruit- Yonezu (AMAZING!! Everyone just loved how the fruit turned out to be an animal instead!)




Puppet Rhyme: I brought out my Bear in a Tree Stump Puppet. He was sleeping of course so we had to wake him up by shouting “WAKE UP BEAR!” a couple of times. Then, he helped us with our strawberry themed flannel board…




Flannel Story: Five Red Strawberries (courtesy of Sunflower Storytime)

Five red strawberries, sweet to the core.
Bear came and ate one (nom nom) and then there were four.
Four red strawberries, growing near a tree.
Bear ate another one (nom nom) and then there were three.
Three red strawberries, for you and you and you.
Bear came and ate another (nom nom) and then there were two.
Two red strawberries, sitting in the sun.
Bear ate the biggest one (nom nom) and then there was one.
One red strawberry, where five had been before.
Bear ate the last of them (nom nom) and then there were no more.
No more strawberries, whatever will bear do?
He’ll have to go berry picking with all of you!






Craft: Construction paper Strawberries

The pattern is from firstpalette.com 

I cut the red berry shapes and green stems. The kids glued them, added wiggle eyes and pipe cleaner appendages to make a little strawberry person!! I am just in LOVE with this little guy! A last minute idea, I was cutting the pieces 10 minutes before class (sigh!)

So today was our first double session with Toddler Time at 10:15 & 11:15 and I have to say it was amazing! Between 14-17 kids showed up at each session and it was soooo wonderful to have space for everyone to sit and lots of room at the craft tables and enough toys for everyone!!! I didn't have to shout over chatters and no one was sitting in the back of the room. I should have done this loooong ago! Everyone cleaned up @11am so I could reset for the later session. The mothers were so appreciative. I heard two mommies say this felt like a vacation and it truly did! Very happy with today's Toddler Time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment