Friday, July 24, 2015

toddler time: beach party!

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a green sand bucket with a starfish and a seashell in it. Where do we find these things? At the BEACH!





We passed out paper shells & starfish to all the kids and did our weekly rhyme:




Put your starfish and seashells UP, put your starfish and seashells DOWN
Hold your starfish and seashells and turn around!
Put your starfish and seashells UP, put your starfish and seashells DOWN
Put your starfish and seashells down on the ground.








Books We Read: 
Llama, Llama, Sand and Sun- Dewdney
Arf Arf: Can You Say It Too?- Braun



Scarf Song/Fingerplay:

The waves at the beach go up & down, up & down, up & down,
the waves at the beach go up & down, all day long.

The crabs on the beach go snap, snap, snap..
The clams at the beach will open and shut…
The sand on the beach goes swish, swish, swish..

from: Jbrary
(tune: The Wheels on the Bus)







Prop Song: We're Going to the Beach (Tune: Farmer in the Dell)

I brought out my big blue beach bag and we sang for each item as I pulled it from the bag. I found this cute idea on a recent Flannel Friday post!

We're going to the beach, We're going to the beach.
I think we'll need some flip-flops there!
We're going to the beach.
(sunglasses, beach towel, floppy hat, sunscreen, sand bucket)








Flannel Story: 5 Little Starfish  (adapted from Five Little Seashells @Anne's Library Life)

I used a blue scarf to be my "waves"!!

5 little starfish lying on the shore,
Crash went the waves and then there were 4.

4 little starfish down by the sea,
Crash went the waves! then there were 3.

3 little starfish, so pretty & new,
Crash went the waves! then there were 2.

2 little starfish, sitting in the sun,
Crash went the waves!  Then there was 1.

1 little starfish, left all alone,
I picked it up & i took it right home!








Craft: Cardstock Sand Buckets

I found the idea and pattern here . I cut the pieces from colorful cardstock so the kids could color it. Then we attached the pipe cleaner handle and voila! I also let the kids glue their shell or starfish onto their bucket.


Our second double session week was wonderful! Everyone loved today's craft. The theme was super fun with great books and I loved the prop song and flannel board too!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment