Wednesday, July 22, 2015

preschool program: i need a hero!

Today’s theme was SUPER HEROES! I always like to mention Summer Reading before my programs and using this year's summer reading theme for today's program is a fun and easy way to get kids excited about signing up.




Books We Read:
Super Heroes: Busy Bodies 
Supertruck- Savage
Fire Fighter Piggy Wiggy- Christyan 
Super Duck- Alborough
Super Chicken- Purcell
Superhero Me- Katz
How to be a Superhero- Fliess
Kiki's Blankie-Bynum

We had a real mix of ages at our program today but luckily, i pulled a wide range of books from baby through school age stuff so I'd have something for everyone. Summer programs are kind of unpredictable like that here.


Flannel Story: Six Little Superheroes (adapted from What Happens In Storytime

I brought out my homemade puppet, Mean Max, to be the villain in this one-- see my post here for more on him. 




My adorable heroes are printed clipart illustrations from Etsy.






6 little superheroes ready to fly
Here comes Mean Max! HEY! Stop that guy!
This superhero can save the day.
Off she/he flies - up, up, and away!

Count down from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 


Craft: Paper Bag Super Hero Puppets



I found this idea here while searching for summer reading ideas a while back. I printed gold paper capes for the kids to decorate. I cut construction paper masks in bright colors to tape onto the puppet “face.”


A very small group this morning has me rethinking preschool programming here. As much as I hate to admit it, I am beginning to think it's time to take a break from this age group to focus on my more popular programming. It would be one less thing on my "to do" list each month. Most of our preschoolers enroll in Universal PreK Programs during the school year so we rarely get high attendance at this monthly class. I already have sessions scheduled thru the fall tho, so I have some time to mull it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment