Friday, June 12, 2015

toddler time: there goes my hero!

To promote our Every HERO Has a Story theme for Summer Reading, I dressed up as Batgirl today! 




Growing up, I was really into Wonder Woman but I've read that Batgirl was a librarian and I found this cute shirt on Amazon, so it had to be her.


Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a bat! What do Batman & Batgirl like? Bats!!

We passed out bats to all the kids and did our weekly rhyme:

Put your bats UP, put your bats DOWN
Hold your bat car and turn around!
Put your bats UP, put your bats DOWN
Put your bat down on the ground.






Books We Read: 
Super Heroes: Busy Bodies – I'm not a big fan of the title of this book, but it’s one of the few super hero books I can find that seems good for very young kids. A lot of the famous characters are mentioned and you can relate it back to the kids because it focuses on parts of the body.
Supertruck- Savage (love it!)
I Am Brave- Krensky (will use later in summer)
Fire Fighter Piggy Wiggy- Christyan (ditto)



Flannel Story: Five Little Books – Superhero Version

I loved the idea of using this flannel board with superheroes so I printed out 6 well known characters to use with my books. I had so many great heroes, I decided to change it to 6 instead. I found this idea here. Storytime Katie also has a post about it and her books are soooo cute. I did this at the very last moment because I've been drowning in summer reading and class visits for days and days. When I waited tables many many moons ago, we had a special phrase for this: "in the weeds." I still HATE it!





Five little books at the library
Five little books as great as can be
Along comes SPIDERMAN (WONDER WOMAN, SUPERMAN, etc) with their library card
To take one home and read, read, read!





Craft: Superhero Animal puppets




I found these ADORABLE clip art animals wearing little capes on ETSY. There are pigs, bunnies, monkeys, dogs, birds and more! I printed them on cardstock so the kids could color them and attach them to brightly colored craft sticks. It was super easy and I had a big group, further complicated by plumbing issues that required me to relocate my program to our main floor at the very last minute. It was kind of stressful so I was happy to have a pretty easy craft planned!

Kids seemed to really like my outfit and we got a ton of summer reading sign ups so I was happy about that. A fun morning despite some issues!


No comments:

Post a Comment