Friday, May 8, 2015

toddler time: happy mother's day!

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a flower basket! What color are the flowers?




Passed out colorful card stock flower baskets to all the kids.

Everyone did our rhyme:

Put your basket UP, put your basket DOWN
Hold your basket and turn around!
Put your basket UP, put your basket DOWN
Put your basket down on the ground.








Books We Read: 
I Like It When- Murphy (love the bright illustrations and short text)
Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother Too?- Carle (kids seemed really interested in this one)








Flannel Story: 5 Flower Baskets

I found this awesome idea @ Once Upon a (Story) Time. I purchased the adorable clipart from Etsy.

Before I started this one, I mentioned that these flower baskets are VERY special because they are for all the moms!

5 Flower Baskets
5 flower baskets sitting on the floor
One will go to ……….’s mom,
Then there will be four.

4 flower baskets, pretty as can be.
One will go to ……………’s mom,
Then there will be three.

3 flower baskets with flowers purple and blue.
One will go to …………’s mom,
Then there will be two.

2 flower baskets, bright as the sun,
One will go to ………..’s mom,
Then there will be one.

1 flower basket, an extra special one
It will go to ………..’s mom,
Then there will be none!!


I considered using puppet animals to remove the flower baskets and also handing them out to real moms. I chose the real mother option just for a change of pace. I think either one would be great tho.





Great puppet set by Merrymakers

Puppet Song: 5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

Since it features a Mama monkey, I thought it was perfect for today’s theme plus everyone knows the words so they all join in. This puppet set was a great purchase for me. It was a little on the expensive side but I get so much use out of these guys, it was totally worth it.








Craft: Mother’s Day Seed Packets

This free printable is from Guildcraft.com. Kids decorated with crayons and stickers; the adults cut, folded and taped. I bought a canister of wildflower seeds and everyone got a spoonful. I love the idea of the families planting the seeds together. Very cute!

We had about 18 kids and I loved the theme! Lots of great books to choose from! It was harder to find a felt board but this one was perfect!! My favorite part of the program was the seed craft tho! 

One dad asked about Father’s Day and I assured him we would be honoring them as well!! I already have some books and a cute craft idea, so I'm just working on the flannel board idea now!

No comments:

Post a Comment