Tuesday, May 19, 2015

preschool fun: something blue

Today’s theme was the COLOR BLUE

This is the sixth program in my Preschool Colors Series! Almost done!






Books We Read:
The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse- Carle (loved this & the kids did too!)
The Duckling Gets a Cookie- Willems (the Pigeon is blue so any of his books work with this theme!)
One Sheep, Blue Sheep- Wiley (ok but small. Kids enjoyed yelling out the colors as each sheep was covered in paint)
Have You Seen My New Blue Socks- Bunting (love the illustrations & the humorous ending got some laughs but the rhyming is very Seuss-ish to me)
Blue Goose- Tafuri (one of my favorite read alouds & probably my #1 by this author!)
Baby Bear Sees Blue – Wolff (so cute!)
Meeow and the Blue Table- Braun (kids loved it!)
One Little Blueberry - Salzano (adorable!)

More Great Titles:
Little Blue Truck- Schertle
Small Bunny’s Blue Blanket- Feeney
Blue on Blue- White






Flannel Story: Five Little Pigeons

I had a devil of a time finding a blue related flannel story so I tweaked The Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed to:

5 little pigeons eating cookies on the bed
One fell off & bumped his head.
We called the Duckling and the Duckling said:
NO MORE PIGEONS EATING COOKIES ON THE BED!

We counted down 4-3-2-1 and it worked great!





Craft: Pigeon Puppets

I printed a Pigeon template that I found online. The kids colored them & put them on popsicle sticks for a super easy craft!


I originally planned this program for last month but ZERO kids showed up! Preschool aged programs don't get big numbers here; I think partly because many of the kids this age are attending universal pre-k programs at local schools. I continue to plan them because I think its important to offer something for the ones who aren't in school but with all my other programming to do, I try not to make it too much additional work. We had about 9 kids today!

No comments:

Post a Comment