Tuesday, April 7, 2015

kids craft: "let the wild rumpus start!"

Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are is one of my favorite children's books ever. So, I decided to honor this timeless classic tale with a program of it's very own.

We started with a reading of the story, of course!





Then we did a cute flannel board called Five Crazy Wild Things. I found these printables online and printed them really big on white cardstock.




I adapted this from a rhyme called Five Little Monsters Sitting on the Floor.

5 crazy wild things stomping on the floor!
The first one said, "Let's knock on someone's door!"
The second one said, "Let's act a little scary!"
The third one said, "Why are we so hairy?"
The fourth one said, "I hear a funny sound."
The fifth one said, "But there's no one else around."

Then whoosh went the wind and "EEEEEK!"  someone said.
And the 5 crazy wild things ran under Max's bed.



Finally, we created our own Wild Things crafts: 



colorful "King of the Wild Things" Paper Crowns (from makinglearningfun.com. Click here for template. Lots of great printables here!) And also, these adorable Paper Plate Wild Things (purchased as kits from OTC).

We had a nice group of about 14 kids for our program, just a little less than I was hoping for, but a wild time was had by all! I think Max would be proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment