Saturday, March 14, 2015

toddler time: what's the weather?

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a little umbrella! Why do you need an umbrella? In case it rains!




The rain is falling down SPLASH (clap)
The rain is falling down SPLASH (clap)
Pitter Patter Pitter Patter (lightly slap hand on lap)
The rain is falling down SPLASH (clap)
(tune: The Farmer in the Dell)


What’s the Weather? What’s the weather?
Whats the weather like today?
Is it sunny, is it rainy, is it windy
Out today?
(Found this one on Youtube by Jbrary) 
So fun!!!


The plan was to pass out colorful paper umbrellas to everyone & sing:


Put your umbrella UP, put your umbrella DOWN
Hold your umbrella and turn around!
Put your umbrella UP, put your umbrella DOWN
Put your umbrella down on the ground.

But there was just too many people there so we had to skip it!






Books We Read: 
Boom Boom - Naberhaus (kids loved the repetitive text & many were making the sounds with me!)
Maisy’s Wonderful Weather Day- Cousins (AMAZING!)
What's the Weather- Scholastic







Flannel Story: Raindrop, Raindrop, What Do You See?

Similar to Brown Bear, Brown Bear but for weather! I adapted this from a blog post by Abby the Librarian.

I See a Fluffy Cloud, a Snowflake, a Hot Sun and a Rainbow looking at me!

I used laminated clip art but you could easily make this in felt too!



Craft: Umbrella




We decorated the umbrellas I planned to pass out at the beginning of the program. We used crayons and stickers. 


ORIGINAL Craft: Weather Wheel from Storytime Katie



I had planned to do these cute weather charts but with the huge crowd of people, it seemed like an impossible task and I was sure that I didn’t have enough supplies for this large of a group. I will have to save it for another day. 

I had to call upstairs for additional staff and take one of the mothers up on her offer to assist me with passing out supplies. A CRAZY morning!!!!!

This was the biggest group I’ve ever had with about 36 toddlers plus adults. It could have been a hot mess but everyone was so well behaved. Thank goodness I had stellar picks for felt stories, picture books and songs or this could have tunred into a complete disaster. The craft was a disappointment for me but no one else noticed at all.

It was nice to see so many toddlers and familiar faces today; everyone so happy to see me.


No comments:

Post a Comment