Friday, January 23, 2015

toddler time: what a zoo!

Today, our toddler theme was all about the ZOO!

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a bunch of animals: a lion, a tiger, a bear, a penguin & a zebra! Where can we visit animals like these? At the Zoo!


I came to the zoo to see lions, elephants, tigers, and bears!
I came to the zoo to see zebras. I love all the animals there!
Lions, tigers, elephants, zebras, and bears, and bears!
Lions, tigers, elephants, zebras, and bears!
Credit: Mel’s Desk

I switched out elephant with penguins to match my puppets, which I got at the dollar store. Its really a bulletin board border that I cut up!

We passed out animals to everyone & sang the song again.




Books We Read: 
Zookeeper Sue- Demarest (Really held their attention)
Chomp- Brown (they loved this one, esp. the last page)
1,2,at the Zoo- DeCicco
Dear Zoo- Carter (this was the 3rd book but they were loving it!)


Puppet Song:

With a little tape, and paper, I quickly transformed my barn into a ZOO! I have a bunch of animal hand puppets that fit our Zoo theme so we sang a zoo song with them as they popped their heads out of the zoo.



Tune: She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain)
You can hear the lions roaring at the zoo, ROAR ROAR!
You can hear the lions roaring at the zoo, ROAR ROAR!
You can hear the lions roaring, you can hear the lions roaring,
You can hear the lions roaring at the zoo, ROAR ROAR!
(Snakes hissing, bears growling, wolves howling, frogs croaking, zebras braying)
credit: Perpetual Preschool


More Great Zoo Related Songs:

The Animals at the Zoo
Sung to: "The Wheels on the Bus"

The lions at the zoo go roar, roar, roar,
Roar, roar, roar,
Roar, roar, roar,
The lions at the zoo go roar, roar, roar,
All day long!

The snakes at the zoo go hiss, hiss, hiss,
Hiss, hiss, hiss,
Hiss, hiss, hiss,
The snakes at the zoo go hiss, hiss, hiss,
All day long!

The monkeys at the zoo go oooh, oooh, oooh,
Oooh, oooh, oooh,
Oooh, oooh, oooh,
The monkeys at the zoo go oooh, oooh, oooh,
All day long!



If I Were
Sung to: " The Mulberry Bush"

Oh, if I were a tiny snake,
A tiny snake, a tiny snake.
Oh, if I were a tiny snake,
I'd slither around the zoo.

Oh, if I were an elephant,
an elephant, an elephant.
Oh, if I were an elephant,
I'd march around the zoo.

Oh, if I were a kangaroo,
A kangaroo, a kangaroo.
Oh, if I were a kangaroo,
I'd hop around the zoo.

http://www.hcpl.net/cgi-bin/ebranch/story_time/theme.pl?id=661



Craft:
I printed a coloring sheet with several animals on it. The kids colored them, then we cut them out and glued them into their construction paper zoo.




SO this was a super fun theme for me because I really love animals. Surprisingly, my favorite things from today were the books for once! They were perfect and kept everyone's attention. The craft seemed a little work intensive. I'd done a similar one for barns/farms a few months back but this seemed more time consuming somehow. Also, the Mystery Box puppets and songs were wonderful! All in all, a great program with about 20 kids attending!




No comments:

Post a Comment