Friday, January 30, 2015

toddler time: polar bear fun

Today, our toddler themes were all POLAR BEARS and WINTER!

So Monday was supposed to be our Frozen Festival but we had to postpone due to bad weather conditions. I think Elsa is sending the snow to us especially for the program! The community room was decorated so beautifully by my coworkers, with snowflakes, streamers and white lights and I didn't want to take it down, so I tried to pick a theme that kind of went along with the decor!

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a polar bear! He’s riding on a red sled!



Puppet Song: I found this rhyme on Jbrary and its perfect for today's theme! I printed the polar bear and laminated him to make my own puppet.


Bumping up and down in my little red sled
Bumping up and down in my little red sled
Bumping up and down in my little red sled
Wont you be my darling?

Snow's coming down on my little red sled…
Waving to my friends on my little red sled…


We passed out polar bears to everyone & sang:

Hold your polar bears UP!
Hold your polar bears DOWN!

Hold your polar bears and turn AROUND!

Hold your polar bears UP!
Hold your polar bears DOWN!

Put your polar bear on the GROUND!


Books We Read: 
Hush Little Polar Bear- Mack (I must confess to paperclipping a few of the pages to shorten this story a tiny bit but it worked very well for me)
Hello Winter- (Hello Kitty) We waved to each page in this one to make it a little more interactive
Ten on the Sled- Norman (Ran out of time!)





Flannel Board: Marco the Polar Bear

See my post here for more about Marco!


Craft:
Polar Bear Paper Plates

I used small plates for this one. I cut round circles for white ears, small black circle noses and paper eyes. I drew mouths on the plates right before the program. Passing out all the pieces takes a while so I told the kids to color their plates while we handed everything out. This project came out super cute!

We had a full house today with about 22 kids and it was a great morning! I loved the craft and the kids were mesmerized by the Marco flannel story.




No comments:

Post a Comment