Friday, December 19, 2014

toddler time: mouse tales

Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found a red box! What’s in our little box? MICE!
What color are our mice? White! 



I walked around and let everyone touch or inspect the mice.

We passed out paper mice to everyone & sang:

Hold your mouse up, hold your mouse down
Hold your mouse & turn around
Hold your mouse up, hold your mouse down
Put your mouse on the ground.




Books We Read: 
Sheila Rae’s Peppermint Stick- Henkes
Lunch- Fleming


Prop Story: Hickory Dickory Dock

I made some adorable clipart mouse puppets using MS Word. I love how you can edit the art however you like! I was able to change their fur and boot colors to create some variety and increase visual interest.



I was also happy for another chance to use my clock prop!! And most of the rhyme was so familiar, many of the adults joined right in! This is one of the first fingerplays I learned when I started as a children's librarian so for once, no cheat sheet stashed behind the flannel board was necessary!


Hickory, dickory dock
The mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck one
The mouse ran down
Hickory, dickory dock

Hickory, dickory dock
ANOTHER mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck 2 (clap 1,2)
The mouse said “BOOO!”
Hickory, dickory dock

Hickory, dickory dock
The third mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck 3 (clap 1 2 3)
The mouse said “wheeeee!”
Hickory, dickory dock

Hickory, dickory dock
The last mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck 4 (clap 1 2 3 4)
The mouse said “No More!”
Hickory, dickory dock



Craft:

I originally wanted to do paper plate mice but I was crunched for time and worried about passing out lots of supplies like pom pom noses, yarn for tails, wiggle eyes, paper ears, etc. with a possibly large group. 

So I found a cute mouse to color. THE DAY BEFORE of course! I hate waiting until the day before, but it happens for the best sometimes!! Anyways, I scanned it and flipped the image so our craft could be two sided and I printed on cardstock (two mice to a page or 4 half mice)

The kids colored the mouse, the moms cut it out and folded it in half. I passed out ½ pipe cleaners in all sorts of colors for the tail, which was glued in the middle of the fold like a sandwich. I also gave out small pieces of red ribbon to make a hanger. Very cute and easy too!

I basically built today’s program around the Henke’s peppermint book which I LOVE! It might have been a little sophisticated for the little ones but I tried to make it fun for all with an extra animated reading. My favorite program elements were the prop rhyme and the craft. The Folkmanis Mice in a Box puppet was awesome though!!! We had a surprisingly large group but things went great! A little loud but not too bad, and many adults complimented me at the end. 

And now I get a nice little break until January 2! 

Although (of course) my mind is already working on toddler ideas for next month….



No comments:

Post a Comment