Friday, November 21, 2014

toddler time: time for turkeys

Today, our toddler theme was TURKEYS!




Mystery Box: Inside our yellow box, we found five feathers! What colors are they? Red, yellow, green, purple and blue!

We passed out felt feathers  to everyone & sang:

Hold your feather up, hold your feather down
Hold your feather & turn around
Hold your feather up, hold your feather down
Put your feather on the ground.




Books We Read: 
Thank You Thanksgiving- Milgrim
Ten Fat Turkeys - Johnston
Yummy, Yucky – Patricelli


Flannel Story: Red Feather, Red Feather, What Do You See

This idea came from a youtube video! Thanks Shelby!






Let’s put some feathers on Mr Turkey!

Red feather, red feather, what do you see?
I see a white feather looking at me!

Go thru all your colors until:

Gray feather, gray feather, what do you see? 
I see a turkey looking at me!

Would you like to put your feathers on Mr Turkey?

Last week, I noticed some of the kids trying to put things on my big black felt board so I decided to try it out. It was total chaos!! Maybe too many kids?


Puppet Song: I discovered this song on the facebook group Storytime Underground and I love it!

You can watch it here:
Bianca Merkley singing Turkey Dance Song

Of course, I don't play guitar but it was still fun! Some of the kids were dancing along and loving it! If you can sing "Skip to My Lou", you can do it!




I have a turkey big and fat
He flaps his wings and walks like that
I have turkey big and fat
This is how he dances


Turkey in the red --  Wobble wobble wobble
Turkey in the red---  gobble gobble gobble
Turkey in the red --- Wobble wobble wobble
this is how he dances!

Repeat for orange, yellow, green, blue, purple...

Turkey in the rainbow -- Wobble wobble wobble
Turkey in the rainbow---  gobble gobble gobble
Turkey in the rainbow -- Wobble wobble wobble
this is how he dances
this is how he dances







Craft:




This turkey craft came from a post on Flannel Friday at Fun with Friends at Storytime. I loved the idea of allowing the kids to choose their own feathers so I cut out a whole bunch in many different colors. They colored their turkey bodies and most kids glued on 4-5 feathers. Of course, some toddlers took more like 10 feathers (LOL!!) and I loved how each turkey was different and amazing in its own way.





Today was pretty wild! We had a TON of kids. The turkey craft was great! It was nice having everything cut out already. Happy turkey day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment