Friday, November 14, 2014

toddler time: fireflies at night

Our theme for Toddler Time today was FIREFLIES.

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a firefly. Can you see his light blinking?



I love this Folkmanis Firefly puppet that really blinks!

Then, I sang:

I'm a little firefly, look at me!
I'm as happy as I can be
See my light flicker and shine so bright
Watch me fly into the night


We passed out paper fireflies to the kids and sang this adorable song:

Firefly Fly (tune: "Three Blind Mice" by Miss Meredith.)
Fly, fly, fly,
Fireflies fly.
Fly over here.
Fly over there.
They fly up high, and they fly down low.
Around and around and around they go.
They fly fast, and they   f-l-y    s-l-o-w.
Fireflies fly.






Books We Read:
The Very Lonely Firefly- Carle ( I like this sparkly sticker version because the pages are pretty big! Most of the kids were paying attention and the adults liked it too!)
Its a Firefly Night- Ochiltree
Ten Flashing Fireflies- Sturges



Felt Board: 5 Little Fireflies 

There was some really awesome felt boards on fireflies on the web but I was a little pressed for time. This was something I printed so it was quick to make and also "short & sweet" for the toddlers. I noticed some of the kids trying to stick their paper fireflies on to the flannel board like mine!!




Five Little Fireflies from Once Upon a (Story)Time
One little firefly shines very bright
Two little fireflies show their lights
Three little fireflies glimmer and glow
Four little fireflies watch them go!
Five little fireflies fly in the night
Blink! Blink! Blink! Blink!(open and close fingers)

My! What a sight!


Puppet Song: The Insects Outside (tune: The Wheels on the Bus)




There are lots of great verses but we just did bees, grasshoppers and fireflies today.



The Insects Outside (Tune: The Wheels on the Bus)
The fireflies at night go blink, blink, blink
Blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink
The fireflies at night go blink, blink, blink
blink blink blink!

The bees in the flowers go buzz, buzz, buzz
Buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz
The bees in the flowers go buzz, buzz, buzz
buzz buzz buzz!


The grasshopper in the grass goes jump jump jump
jump jump jump, jump jump jump
The grasshopper in the grass goes jump jump jump
jump jump jump!

Other verses: 
cricket/fields/chirp
caterpillars/on the leaves/munch
spiders/in the bush/ spin their webs
worms/in the ground/ wiggle and squirm
--Credit: Child Care Lounge


Craft: Firefly Puppets





I found this adorable firefly template here.

I cut out firefly bodies from colorful construction paper and I cut the wings from sparkly gold poster board. 

I also purchased Glow in the Dark Glitter to decorate the firefly body but it was kind of hard to see it. It's by Martha Stewart so I thought it would be amazing but you couldn't see it well on the construction paper. 

Still a cute craft tho! You could add pipe cleaner antennas too.



A fun program today with about 15 kids attending. Only read the one book but made up for it with songs and puppets that worked great for this age group. I loved the firefly songs, and my flannel board which I printed onto bright yellow/green cardstock. The craft was really cute too!

No comments:

Post a Comment