Tuesday, November 18, 2014

preschool fun: as yellow as the sun

Today’s theme was the COLOR YELLOW!

This is the third program in my COLORS series for preschoolers. (See this October post for ORANGE and September one for RED.)











Books We Read:
10 Little Rubber Ducks- Carle (the longest so i read this one first)
Press Here -Tullet (my first time using this one with preschoolers, but i still prefer reading it to school age kids)
Daisy's Hide and Seek- Simmons (cute!)
Five Little Chicks- Tafuri (not my fave for this author, many of her other books are so lovely)
Charlie Chick - Denchfield (love it!! One of my all time favorites for all ages)
Banana- Veres (not my favorite. maybe I don't read it well)

You Are My Sunshine - Church (short but so sweet; i used my sun puppet)







Flannel Story: 5 Little Lemons

This was a last minute decision and i'm so happy because I'm totally crazy about these lemons! I found this one here at the Storytime Lady.

5 little lemons sitting in a bowl (hold up 5 fingers)
One fell out and started to roll (roll hands)
It bumped (clap) the table and hit my toe (point to foot)
How many lemons left in the bowl?

Repeat 4,3,2,1







Puppet Song: 5 Little Ducks (with Puppet Mitt)

This mitt has been here for many years and I don't use it much but the kids today really loved it.

Five Little Ducks went out one day, over the hills and far away.
Mother Duck said, "Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack," but only four little ducks came back.
Four little ducks went out one day, over the hills and far away
Mother Duck said, "Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack," but only three little ducks came back.
(Repeat counting down to "but no little ducks came back.")
Sad mother duck went out one day, over the hills and far away
Mother Duck said, "Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack," and five little ducks came back

(credit: KCLS

Good Songs and Fingerplays for Yellow:

We did--
Where Is the Beehive?
Mister Sun
Bananas Unite






Craft: Duck puppets

I found some a duck pattern online and cut out the parts using yellow & orange construction paper. We decorated our ducks with yellow feathers and wiggle eyes and taped a stick on the back.

A nice class today with about 8 kids! It was brutally cold so I was afraid no one would come, as usual. My favorite parts were the Duck Puppet mitt and the lemon flannel board. I was happy with the craft project also!

No comments:

Post a Comment