Tuesday, October 21, 2014

preschool fun: the color orange

Today, our theme was the COLOR ORANGE! Perfect for the fall season.




Books We Read:
Cat’s Colors – Cabrera (what is his favorite color? Orange, of course!)
Pumpkin Trouble- Thomas (not sure they really understood this one)
Orange Pear Apple Bear-  Gravett (I told the kids we would read this one together and we used the pictures to help us. Cute!)
Leaf Man – Ehlert (one little boy really loved Leaf Man but no one else seemed interested at all)
Mystery Vine- Fallwell ( I was afraid this would be too wordy but they seemed interested in all the veggies!)
Waiting for Wings- Ehlert 
Tap the Magic Tree- Matheson (thank goodness for the interactive aspects of this one, I needed it!)


Flannel Story: 5 Little Pumpkins

Most kids know this one but everyone LOVES it! I love my felt version because of the double sided pumpkins. There are jack o lanterns on the other side so its very fun to turn them over one at a time as you go thru the lines. To see my felt board, check out this post from last October.

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "oh my it's getting late."
The second one said, "there are bats in the air."
The third one said, "but we don't care!"
The fourth one said, "let's run and run and run."
The fifth one said, "I'm ready for some fun!"
OOOhh OOOhh went the wind
And out went the lights
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.




Craft: Pumpkin puppets




I found some printable pumpkins that I printed onto orange cardstock for the kids to color and cut out. I gave them the choice of taping the pumpkins to popsicle sticks to make puppets OR stringing a ribbon thru the pumpkins to make a garland type decoration. Most kids opted for the puppet version. I gave everyone a printout of the words to the poem so they could say it at home just in case they didn't know all the words.

This theme was inspired by other ORANGE color story times:



We had a great group today of about ten kids (which is really good for us) and everyone had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment