Wednesday, October 1, 2014

a party for Curious George

Today, our library hosted a special celebration for one of my favorite characters in children's literature: Curious George!




This idea began to take shape a few months ago when our library received a kit from the book's publisher with all this amazing stuff inside, including a big book copy of Curious George, a huge yellow felt hat, stickers, tattoos, & magnetic picture frames. I have no idea how this package arrived at our library, but it was like an entire program all in one box -- so exciting!





We had a ton of interest in this program; all the spots filled up quickly with several names on a waiting list. It's nice to know that after all these years, Curious George is still as popular as ever!



I created a fun Curious George book display to go along with our program. I also made special Curious George bananas to use as special program tickets.





One of my coworkers borrowed a character costume from a local shop and she wore it at the beginning and end of the program, it was awesome! The kids were really excited to get a photo with CG.

To kick off the program, I read the story out loud. It was kind of long but i think the big book format helped hold their attention. 



I used my balloon flannel board for a special CG felt story. I told the kids that The Man in the Yellow Hat was looking for CG.  I hid two clipart CGs behind the balloons and we looked for him, chanting "CG is hiding, playing hide and seek. Is he under the yellow balloon? Lets take a peek?" Everyone loved this part, even the older kids.








I found a cute CG paper airplane printable craft (see first photo) & I decided it would be a fun and easy craft activity. There are tons of great CG printables on various websites. The airplane printable that I used is found here on www.curiousgeorge.com




We wrapped things up with an exciting game of "Pin the Tail on the Monkey", another super easy idea. I just printed a clip art illustration of CG in tile format so it would be extra big. Then I cut some tail shapes from brown construction paper. Don't forget to write the child's initials or first name on their monkey tail!




Instead of giving a big prize to the winner of the game, we gave everyone a prize for participating: a choice of a CG tattoo or a CG magnetic frame. All the kids got an adorable sheet of CG stickers to take home also. 

I have to say this was a super fun program and very easy to put together, thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Many of the parents told me how much they enjoyed it and I hope to see them again for one of our other programs coming up this fall. 

I think some of the kids were expecting food because I sometimes serve cupcakes, cookies, popsicles, etc., but they seemed ok without it. If I didn't have to other stuff to give away, I might have done some kind of food treat at the end but with all the nice prizes, it didn't feel as necessary. The food can be expensive and labor intensive to serve so I'm okay about skipping it sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment