Friday, September 19, 2014

toddler time: peekaboo hedgehog!

Our theme for Toddler Time today was PEEKABOO -- and hedgehogs too!

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a hedgehog!! 


One of my most favorite puppets for storytime!

I’m a little hedgehog sweet & small.
When I get scared, I curl up in a ball.
I really love to roll around.
Watch me spin across the ground!
(tune: I'm a Little Teapot)

There are a few different versions of this song on the web. I combined a few and ended up with the song above.




We passed out colorful paper hedgehogs (OMG how cute are they?!! Found during a hedgehog clipart google search) to the kids and we sang the song again together. 

Next up, we did:

Hold your hedgehog up high
Hold your hedgehog down low
Hold your hedgehog & turn around
Hold your hedgehog up high
Hold your hedgehog down low
Put your hedgehog on the ground.

A while later, I pulled out my puppet again and told the kids: Mr Hedgehog loves to play peekaboo!

Where is hedgehog? PEEKABOO!
Where is hedgehog? PEEKABOO!
Where is hedgehog? PEEKABOO!
PEEKABOO to Hedgehog!





Books We Read:
Peek a Moo - Cimarusti (wow, actually kept their attention! LOVE it)
Peekaboo Blueberry- Saltzberg
Peekaboo- Gomi


Felt Board: Hedgehog Friends from Storytime ABCs



This blog has tons of great hedgehog ideas!! I borrowed the counting up rhyme to use with this adorable clipart that I purchased on Etsy.


Craft: Peekaboo Kids




This printable craft can be found here. I printed out the "kids" onto cardstock and I covered some cardboard tubes with construction paper. The toddlers just colored their kids to create a cute peekaboo craft! The Little Big Book Club has so many wonderful craft ideas and many are printable. It's definitely worth checking out.


We had a TON of toddlers today and I was so grateful for this super easy craft!! Read only one book today since I am mostly focusing on my CD songs and a rhyme or two right now.  Hopefully this group will become familiar with my format and their attention spans will develop as we go thru the next few months. All in all, a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment