Friday, September 26, 2014

toddler time: monkey business

Our theme for Toddler Time today was MONKEYS (& bananas too!)

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a yellow banana. Who loves to eat bananas? Monkeys do! 




I’m a Little Monkey   (tune: ‘I’m a Little Teapot’)
I’m a little monkey in the tree, swinging by my tail so merrily.
I can leap & fly from tree to tree, I have lots of fun you see.

I’m a little monkey watch me play, munching on bananas every day.
Lots of monkey friends to play with me. We have fun up in the trees.
(credit: King County Library System)


We passed out yellow construction paper bananas to the kids and sang:

Hold your banana up high
Hold your banana down low
Hold your banana & turn around
Hold your banana up high
Hold your banana down low
Put your banana on the ground.



Books We Read:
Two Little Monkeys- Fox
Monkey & Me- Gravett
Swing Like a Monkey- Taback


Felt Board: Counting Bananas



This one is so easy! All you need is a monkey puppet (plush or paper, anything works!) and five felt bananas. I put the bananas on my flannel board & the monkey takes them off one at a time. Here is the rhyme:

5 yellow bananas, and not one more.
The monkey ate one, & then there were 4
4 yellow bananas, so yummy to see.
The monkey ate one, & then there were 3
3 yellow bananas, & he knew what to do.
The monkey ate one, & then there were 2
2 yellow bananas, hanging in the sun.
The monkey ate one, & then there as 1
1 yellow banana, well for goodness sake.
The monkey ate that one, & he got a tummyache
Now there are no little bananas hanging on the tree
Monkey, your tummy wouldn’t hurt if you shared them with me!


Great Rhyme for This Theme
I LOVE this song! We do it almost every week!
From Jbrary! Watch their video herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k93Yunycm28.

Bananas unite!
Peel bananas, peel peel bananas
(repeat with chop, mash, eat)
GO BANANAS!




Craft: Monkey Paper Bag Puppets

I needed a super simple money craft so I found a clip art monkey face & printed it on to light brown paper.

I also cut out some basic arms. We glued the arms & faces to our paper lunch bags for a really cute craft!


Today was really crazy! Lots of toddlers and siblings also. I think it was because there was no school today. Part of the chair rail and a fire extinguisher fell right off the wall in the middle of my program so that was interesting. The Mem Fox book & the craft were great but the biggest hit of the day was the monkey puppet.

No comments:

Post a Comment