Friday, September 5, 2014

toddler time: dance, dance, dance!

Our theme for Toddler Time today was DANCING (& also Peppa Pig – love her!)

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a pretty scarf!! What color is my scarf today?

We passed out scarves to the kids and sang:
Dance your scarf up high
Dance your scarf down low
Hold your scarf & turn around
Dance your ice scarf up high
Dance your scarf down low
Put your scarf on the ground.

Then I sang:
Let’s All Dance (Tune: Mary Had a Little Lamb)
Let’s all dance with our scarves today, scarves today, scarves today!
Let’s all dance with our scarves today, all around the room

Also, MARCH with our scarves & JUMP with our scarves




Books We Read:
Giraffe’s Can’t Dance: Number Rumba- Andreae (cute!)
Do Donkeys Dance- Walsh (great although not much dancing in this book. we did admire Donkey's tutu on the title page! Sometimes its nice to read a book that's not closely related to the theme to change things up)
I Love to Dance- Walker
Baby Danced the Polka- Beaumont
Barnyard Dance- Boynton
Dancing Feet- Craig



Felt Board: Five Little Dancers



This Flannel board is borrowed from a wonderful blog called Jen in the Library

Note: I did change the word “ballet” to “little” for my program.

Five ballet dancers
Dancing on their toes.
They twirl, spin and jump,
then off the stage one goes!
How many ballet dancers are left?

Continue counting down until…

One ballet dancer
Dancing on his/her toes.
S/He twirls, spins, and jumps,
Then off the stage s/he goes!
How many ballet dancers are left?
0!
And what do we do when the show is over?
(Everyone claps)

The clapping at the end is my favorite part!!! All the kids & parents loved seeing Peppa Pig in our felt story! 

I purchased this adorable dancing Peppa Pig clipart on Etsy. I printed it & laminated it for my program today.


Craft: Peppa Pig Puppets



I had a hard time finding a quick easy dance related craft so I opted for a Peppa Pig craft. I figured that we could make our puppets dance! I just printed the image on cardstock for the kids to decorate & attach to popsicle sticks.

I recently found a very cute Dance themed craft at Miss Meg's Storytime, using a paper plate, streamers, ribbons & stickers to make a paper plate dancer. So I also pulled out a bunch of supplies for this craft too!

We had so many (very young!!) toddlers this morning and things were a little chaotic so I opted to stick with the first craft; we'll save the paper plate one for another day. 

We had tons of new toddlers today as well as some familiar faces returning after the summer, so that was nice. The flannel board was the highlight of the program today for me. We also did the Hokey Pokey, which was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment