Monday, August 18, 2014

toddler time: hooray for hippos!

Our theme for Toddler Time today was HIPPOS!

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a hippo! What color is our hippo? Blue!




We passed out colorful paper hippos to the kids and sang:
Put your hippo up high
Put your hippo down low
Hold your hippo & turn around
Put your hippo up high
Put your hippo down low
Put your hippo on the ground.

Then we went right into this cute Hippo song: (from here!) 

The Feet of a Hippo Go Thump, Thump, Thump
(tune: "The Wheels on the Bus")
The feet of a hippo go thump, thump, thump,
Thump, thump, thump,
Thump, thump, thump.
The Feet of a hippo go thump, thump, thump,
All day long.

The nose of a hippo goes snort, snort, snort,
Snort, snort, snort,
Snort, snort, snort.
The nose of a hippo goes snort, snort, snort,
All day long.

The tail of a hippo goes swish, swish, swish,
Swish, swish, swish,
Swish, swish, swish.
The tail of a hippo goes swish, swish, swish,
All day long.

This song was my favorite part of the whole program. We had a great time stomping around, pointing to our noses and swishing our hands, I mean tails!)



Books We Read:
Hippos Go Berserk- Boynton (first half of book is good, second half didn’t flow as nicely for me for some reason)
Hippopposites- Coat ( I marked off some pages to skip because I wasn’t sure the concepts were toddler appropriate, like empty/full & positive/negative. Some pages were ok tho)
Happy Hippo, Angry Duck - Boynton again! (i decided to use another title instead due to the small size. It's very tiny)
But Not the Hippopotamus – Boynton (She does a lot for Hippos!)
Hide and Seek Harry- Harrison (At the Beach & Around the House are available on amazon.com but not in my system & I didn’t have time to order; maybe next time!)



Felt Board: Hippos in the Bathtub




I was more familiar with the elephant version but the hippos worked too!
I found this idea here and I happily printed the same clipart as the blogger. 

One Hippo in the bathtub going for a swim
Knock, knock (clap hands)
Splash, splash, (slap knees)
Come on in!
(We counted up with additional hippos until we had six on our board. Then we named all the colors.) 



Puppets: Gray Animals Game

I really wanted a cute puppet element for my hippo theme and found some great ideas but this one stood out to me. We said:

“I know an animal that is colored gray.

It moves around like this, all day!”




We had "thump thump" - hippo
"hop hop" - bunny
"waves his trunk" - elephant
& finally "sleeps all day then goes thru your trash can looking for food at night" - raccoon (I heard some chuckling from the parents after this one!)

I found this cute puppet idea here.



Craft: Hippo Collages




I found a nice template so I cut some hippos out of construction paper, then we decorated with tissue paper and wiggle eyes. This was a nice easy craft, very fun & colorful!

Smaller group again today with about 14 kids. This theme was not my favorite, mostly because the books didn't work out great but I liked the craft & I think the kids had fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment