Tuesday, August 5, 2014

toddler time: feeling sheep-ish today!

Our theme for Toddler Time today was SHEEP!

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a lamb puppet! What color is our lamb? She is so soft!


My farm set and today's lamb puppet

We passed out sheep puppets to all the kids and sang:

Put your sheep up high
Put your sheep down low
Hold your sheep & turn around
Put your sheep up high
Put your sheep down low
Put your sheep on the ground.

We also used our sheep for this song:

Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep (hide puppet)
And doesn’t know where to find them
Leave them alone and they’ll come… HOME! (bring back puppet)
Waving their tails behind them.
(found this on Jbrary where they recommend using scarves! so cute!)





Books We Read:
I Heard a Little Baaa- MacLeod (love it)
Where Is the Green Sheep? - Fox (great book)


Felt Board: Where Is the Green Sheep?




I hid him behind one of these bushes and we had a great time looking for him! Is he under the red bush? No! How about the pink one? Nope! Maybe he's under the green bush? YES! 

Did this flannel board right after the book so they were really interested!


Puppets: On the Farm

I used my barnyard set (see first photo) along with my sheep finger puppet for this song (found here):

(tune: Wheels on the Bus)
The sheep on the farm go Baa Baa Baa
baa baa baa
baa baa baa
The sheep on the farm go Baa Baa Baa
all day long!

(also did Pig & Cow)


Craft: Fuzzy Sheep Puppets 




I printed cute double sided sheep so the kids could color them any color they liked. I'm having a hard time finding the website when I found this template but there are tons of great sheep crafts out there! 

We glued cotton balls on to make our sheep nice & fuzzy, then added a popsicle stick so we could use them as puppets. 




Great group today, the perfect size with about 17 kids. Loved both the puppet song and the craft, and the books were fun too! One of the grandmothers asked me why the branch closest to her house doesn't have great programs for toddlers and it was so nice to hear that she appreciated my class.


No comments:

Post a Comment