Friday, August 22, 2014

Flannel Friday: DIY Pop Up Puppets

Like many librarians who work with children, I am OBSESSED with puppets.

Some days, when all else fails, a puppet can save my baby or toddler program from complete chaos. So, I am always on the lookout for a cute puppet idea to use for my programs and I purchase a lot of puppets. A lot! Once a week or so, a small package from amazon.com or ebay seems to magically arrive on my doorstep, much to the dismay of my wonderful husband. To me, there are soooo many problems that would be far worse to have; a puppet addiction really isn't so bad, right?

But to save a little money, I will get creative & *try* to create my own puppets on occasion. I am not very artistic though so it has to be SUPER EASY! 

These puppets were inspired by a blog post by Guybrarian.

A while back, I purchased a set of inexpensive finger puppets. I hot glued one to the end of a long plastic mixing spoon (purchased at the Dollar store in a 4 pack.) I used felt to make a carrot and also a flower (I found my patterns online but if you are artistic, you can probably create your own.) 

I cut two flowers/carrots and then I stitched them together by hand. When you slip the spoon handle inside, it's kind of like a pocket for the puppet to hide. When I hold it up, my hand mostly covers up the white spoon part.




The babies at my programs LOVE peekaboo games, so I use this well known rhyme:

Little bunny in a carrot sitting so still
Will he pop out?
YES HE WILL!



He hops to the left
He hops to the right
He hops all around
Then he pops out of sight!

I liked my homemade pop up bunny so much that I made a frog too and slightly tweaked the rhyme:




Little froggy in a flower sitting so still
Will he pop out?
YES HE WILL!




He hops to the left
He hops to the right
He hops all around
Then he pops out of sight!

I still have two spoons left, so maybe I will make some other puppets someday.


Thank you to all the blogging librarians who share their rhymes and puppet ideas! 

3 comments:

  1. I love these!! They are adorable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely, Amy! How can I subscribe to your blog?

    Thanks!


    Lois

    ReplyDelete