Monday, June 30, 2014

toddler time: hello hello!

Our themes for Toddler Time today were HELLO & GOODBYE! And also the SUN.

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a sun. What color is the sun? Yellow!



We passed out paper suns to all the kids and sang:

Hold your sun up high
Hold your sun down low
Hold your sun & turn around
Hold your sun up high
Hold your sun down low
Put your sun on the ground.

We also used our sun puppets for this song:

Oh, Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun,
Please shine down on me.

Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun,
Hiding behind a tree

These little children are asking you
To please come out so we can play with you.

Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun,
Please shine down on,
please shine down on,
Please shine down on me.

I learned this song from Jbrary on youtube but I think it is by Raffi.





Books We Read:
Hello Sun- Dodds
Say Hello Like This – Murphy
Bye Bye Mommy- Scholastic Rookie Toddler Series


Hello/Goodbye Songs & Rhymes:

Open Shut Them (I used my Hello/Goodbye Elephant for this one!)
Open, shut them. Open, shut them
Put your hands down low.
Open, shut them. Open, shut them
Wave and say hello!
Open, shut them. Open, shut them
Raise your hands up high
Open, shut them. Open, shut them
Wave and say goodbye!

Say Hello To our Toes (tune: London Bridge)
Lets say hello to our toes,
Hello toes, hello toes
Lets say hello to our toes
Hello toes!
(repeat with knees, tummy, hands, head)
Credit: Storytime Secrets 

This is the Way We Wave Hello (Tune: Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush)
This is the way we wave hello, wave hello, wave  hello
This is the way we wave hello - hello, hello, hello!

This is the way we clap hello...
This is the way we tap hello...
Credit: Storytime Secrets too


Flannel Story: Can We Find a Pink Pig?

I use this flannel board for Farm themed programs, so check out this post for more info!


Puppets: Knock Knock House (inspired by Rain Makes Applesauce and Future Librarian Superhero

This one has been in my "To Do" pile for soooo long and I'm so proud that I finally found a way to make one myself!




My house is very simple, made from some foam sheets and a shoe box. The windows are just clipart printed from the computer.

To start things off, I say something like:

Knock Knock!
Who’s there?
An animal that is big and says grrrr!

Then I pop my bear finger puppet thru the door and we all say:
Hi Bear!
Bye Bye Bear!




Repeat with whatever puppets you have around.


Craft: Hello/Goodbye Elephants





I found this cute idea on Sunflower Storytime a while back 
There are even printable templates! The kids really liked making their elephant puppets and I saw lots of parents practicing Hellos and Goodbyes as they worked on them.

Today was a little chaotic. With school out, we had lots of older siblings and it made me nervous. I was afraid someone would get stepped on. Although I asked them to hang out in the back, they didn’t stay there. Next time, I will try some activity sheets and remind them that only toddlers can be on the carpet.




No comments:

Post a Comment