Monday, June 23, 2014

toddler time: fun with fish!

Our theme for Toddler Time today was FISH! 

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a a goldfish puppet. What color is our fish? Orange!




We passed out fish puppets and sang:

Hold your fish up high
Hold your fish down low
Hold your fish & turn around
Hold your fish up high
Hold your fish down low
Put your fish on the ground.

We also used our fish puppets for this song:

Have you ever seen a fishy, a fishy, a fishy
Have you ever seen a fishy go this way and that?
Go this way and that way and that way and this way
Have you ever seen a fishy go this way and that?




Books We Read:
Fish Swish Splash Dash- MacDonald
Hooray for Fish- Cousins
Fish Eyes – Ehlert (ran out of time)


Fun Fish and Ocean Rhymes:

The Waves on the Sea Go Up & Down (tune: Wheels on the Bus)
The Waves on the Sea Go Up & Down,
up & down, up & down
The Waves on the Sea Go Up & Down
All day long!

The sharks in the sea go snap, snap, snap (clap)
The fish in the sea go swish….



Flannel Story: 5 Little Fishies

First, I placed a piece of blue felt on my flannel board to be the ocean. Then I brought out my fish. We counted as we placed them on the board. Then I introduced my shark puppet and we started to sing!




5 little fishies swimming in the sea
Teasing Mr Shark “you can’t catch me!”
Along comes Mr Shark as quiet as can be
And snapped that fish right out of the sea!

How many fish are left? 
Repeat until all the fish have been snapped up by the shark.

Puppet Song: 2 Little Fish (tune: 3 Blind Mice)

Clown Fish Finger Puppets - Teaching Supplies & Teaching Supplies,pack of 12,various color

I bought these finger puppets on amazon a while back, so I pulled out two of them for this song:

2 little fish, 2 little fish
See how they swim, see how they swim
Round & round and fast they go
Now they’re going very slow
2 little fish, 2 little fish


Puppet Song #2:
My orange fish puppet returned and we played Laurie Berkner’s adorable Goldfish Song. I tried to re-enact the song with my puppet with lots of movement. Very silly but fun!


Craft #1: Fish paper bag puppets




I found a printable template online to use. Kids could color, cut & paste onto brown bags. Worked out great!

Craft #2:

I also handed out sandwich baggies with a few small shells in them. When the kids came up to me, we added foam fish, blue glitter and a generous squirt of hair gel to make a cute sensory bag! To see my source of inspiration for this craft OR a photo of how it looked, check out this link

I put out some duct tape for parents to use to double seal the bag. I was afraid this would become chaotic but some kids were doing the paper bag puppets, others were playing on the carpet so it worked out great!

I was really happy with this program, especially the crafts and songs. One parent told me at the end of the class that Toddler Time is the best hour of the day! This really made my day, especially after a very nasty phone call yesterday from a mom complaining about the Baby & Me class, which she felt was overcrowded (which is why we are trying to add an earlier session.) She also wanted me to limit youngest babies to one session and older ones to another which is just too complicated. It is also kind of unfair to parents with an additional older child that they cannot leave at home. I was honestly shocked to hear these complaints about a free class from a person who attended one session. It was not a nice experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment