Saturday, May 3, 2014

toddler time: perfect pets!

Our theme for Toddler Time today was PETS, especially DOGS! 

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a cute little puppy. 



What does a dog say?

We sang:

Dogs in the Dirt
Ten little doggies went out one day (10 fingers up)
To dig in the dirt and play, play, play.(Pretend to dig.) 
Five were spotted, and five were not,(Show one hand at a time.) 
and at dinner time they ate a lot!(Pretend to eat.)
(credit: Cheryl's Sweethearts ChildCare)

We handed out paper puppies to everyone and sang our next song:



Put your puppies up, put your puppies down.
Hold your puppy & turn around.
Put your puppy up, put your puppy down.
Put your puppy on the ground.

Books We Read:



Who Am I: Pets (DK) (great for this age group)
Five Little Puppies Jumping on the Bed- Kerr (everyone joined in YAY!)
Kitty’s Cuddles- Cabrera (read this one fast skipping most of the words because it was our third book & I was afraid that I was on the brink of losing them!)

More Perfect Pet Stories:
I Spy Pets- Gibbs
Dog’s Colorful Day- Dodd
Cat’s Colors- Cabrera


Flannel Story: Doggy, Doggy, Who Has Your Bone?

I saw this flannel board idea on a great blog & you can find it here.

First, I put up several laminated clipart pets (purchased on etsy). I hid a bone behind the cat. 



One by one we went thru each animal asking:
Doggy Doggy who has your bone?
Did someone take it from your home?
Guess who! 
Was it YOU, Mouse?

We looked behind Mouse and all the other pets until we found the bone under Kitty.

Puppet: If You’re a Puppy & You Know It



I pulled a bunch of pet puppets and we sang this to the tune of If You’re Happy and You Know It. I like to mix in animal sounds and motions.

If You’re a Puppy & You Know It, Say Woof  Woof!
If You’re a Puppy & You Know It, Say Woof  Woof!
If You’re a Puppy & You Know It, and you really want to show it
If You’re a Puppy & You Know It, Say Woof  Woof!

(kitty-meow, hamster- run in place, rabbit- hop, fish-blub blub, mouse – squeak)



Craft: Cat & Dog Puppets



I found these cute clipart/colring images somewhere so we printed them, colored them, cut them out & taped them onto popsicle sticks.

Great class today with over 20 toddlers attending. One little girl's mom told me after class that her daughter said she liked my pink pants! I heard that another little one who has been coming to my classes since she was a baby calls all her teachers Miss Amy! These kids are just too cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment