Saturday, May 17, 2014

toddler time: down on the farm

Our theme for Toddler Time today was FARM ANIMALS! 




Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a whole bunch of animals – a pig, a cow, a duck & a chicken. Where do they all live? In a barn on a farm!

We handed out farm animal puppets to all the kids and sang this song:




Put your animal UP, put your animal DOWN
Hold your animal and turn around!
Put your animal UP, put your animal  DOWN
Put your animal down on the ground


Then I brought my barn out and we sang for the farm animals:

When cows get up in the morning, they always say good day!
When cows get up in the morning, they always say good day!
Moo moo moo moo that is what they say.
They say Moo moo moo moo, that is what they say.
(repeat for other animals)


Books We Read:




I Spy on the Farm – Gibbs (PERFECT for this age group)
Maisy at the Farm - Cousins




Flannel Story: “Brown Bear” Farm Animal Version:

I sang this as I placed the clipart animals on the flannel board (tune: Twinkle Twinkle)





Pink pig, pink pig, what do you see? I see a white duck looking at me!
White duck, white duck, what do you see? I see a brown horse looking at me!
Brown horse, brown horse, what do you see? I see a fluffy sheep looking at me!
Fluffy sheep, fluffy sheep, what do you see? I see a orange cat looking at me!
Orange cat, orange cat, what do you see? I see a spotted cow looking at me!
Spotted cow, spotted cow,  what do you see? I see a red hen looking at me!
Red hen, red hen, what do you see? I see a a lot of kids looking at me!


Puppet: Old MacDonald Had a Farm

For more info, check out my post here


Craft: Make Your Own Animal Barn!



I folded the extra large sheets of red construction paper so they would open up like a barn. I glued on barn doors but its not a necessity. I printed some farm animals onto white paper (here is the link to the one that I used). First, everyone colored their animals. Then they cut them out & glued them into the barns. 

This craft was a great success! I saw many kids opening & closing their barns and singing farm songs. SO easy too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment