Tuesday, April 15, 2014

toddler time: Rain, Rain, Go Away!


Our theme for Toddler Time today was RAIN!

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a cloud with raindrops.



We handed out raindrops to everyone and sang two songs:

Put your raindrops up, put your raindrops down.
Hold your raindrop & turn around.
Put your raindrops up, put your raindrops down.
Put your raindrop on the ground.

Also:

It is Raining! (tune: "Frere Jacques")
It is raining, It is raining!
On my ____________________, On my ___________________!
Pitter, Pitter, Patter,
Pitter, Pitter, Patter,
I'm all wet, I'm all wet!


I found this song during an extremely last minute google search for Rain ideas. The song is so cute and there is even a printable rain puppet to download! 
The blogger suggests patting your knees during “pitter pitter patter” and that’s exactly what we did today.




Books We Read:
One Rainy Day- Salzano (this book was PERFECT! I’d rather have one amazing book than 3 so so ones.)
Kipper’s Rainy Day- Inkpen
Raindrop Plop – Lewison


Riveting Rain Rhymes:

Umbrella Song (tune: I’m a little Teapot)
Here’s my new umbrella
Wide & high
It keeps me cozy, warm & dry
If the rain starts falling from the sky
Just open me up & you’ll stay dry



Flannel Story: Ten Little Umbrellas



Found this on one of my favorite blogs: Storytime Katie!

Start with an empty flannel board. First put up your umbrellas one at a time:

One little, two little, three little umbrellas
Four little, five little, six little umbrellas
Seven little, eight little, nine little umbrellas
Ten umbrellas up for the rain

Then I say something like “If you have umbrellas, you need some raindrops!’

Repeat song as you place raindrops on the board. Finish with:“Ten raindrops falling down.” 

Then I say, "Oh it stopped raining!”

Repeat song as you remove raindrops, counting down. Finish with: “No raindrops out today.” 

"If there’s no raindrops, we better put our umbrellas away!"

Repeat song as you remove all umbrellas counting down. Finish with “Everything’s put away!” or “no little umbrellas out today”



Puppets:



We sang the Itsy Bitsy Spider with my spider finger puppet. Then I brought out the hand puppet version for the Big Enormous Spider! It was so nice to use a song that everyone knows so all the kids and parents could join in.



Craft: Umbrellas



I printed an umbrella pattern on colored cardstock. We decorated with crayons & stickers and attached a jumbo foam craft stick. One mom used two to make it a little more sturdy which was so smart!



An amazing program today! A lot of kids but there was so much audience participation that we had a great time. The crafts turned out so cute and all the songs, felt board and puppets worked wonderfully. One of the best classes ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment