Tuesday, April 1, 2014

toddler time: Outer Space


Our theme for Toddler Time today was OUTER SPACE!

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a STAR! Where do we see a star? Up in the sky!



We handed out colorful foamie stars to all the kids and sang “Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star”

We also sang: 
Put your stars up, put your stars down
Hold your star and turn around.
Put your stars up, put your stars down.
Put your star down on the ground.



Books We Read:
Higher, Higher- Patricelli (perfect for this age group)
Rocket Countdown- Sharratt (everyone was quiet and loving this one)
I Want to Be an Astronaut – Barton (no time for this one today but I think it would be great!)

Stupendous Space Rhymes:

Zoom Zoom Zoom, we’re going to the moon!
If you want to take a trip, climb abroad my rocket ship!
Zoom Zoom Zoom, we’re going to the moon!
5,4,3,2,1 BLAST OFF!


If you’re going to the moon, wear your boots
If you’re going to the moon, wear your boots
If you’re going to the moon, this is what you have to do,
If you’re going to the moon, wear your boots.

…wear your gloves
…wear your helmet
(tune: If You’re Happy and You Know It) – credit: Mel’s Desk 


Flannel Story: What Will We See In Outer Space?



I found this great flannel idea on Catch the Possibilities. Sing it to the tune “Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush.” I used clipart pictures for mine and changed the last verse just a little.

What will we see in outer space, outer space, outer space,
What will we see in outer space, away up in the sky?

We'll see some tiny twinkling stars...

We'll see the moon with a smiling face...

We'll see a rocket ship flying by...

We'll see a planet that spins around...

We'll see an alien that is green...


Puppet: Five Little Friends In a Flying Saucer

I saw this on Flannel Friday and knew it was perfect for my Space theme! I found it on Loons and Quines  AND Storytime Katie 



I wanted mine to be more of a puppet that I could move around so I added some heavy duty Velcro & a jumbo craft stick. I found a wonderful woman singing this song on youtube with puppets and she called them friends so I borrowed that from her.

Five little friends in a flying saucer
Looked around the world one day
They looked left and looked right
But they didn’t like the sight
So one friend flew away
Count down 4,3,2,1.

This song definitely held everyone’s interest even though my aliens fell out at the beginning. I may need to Velcro them into the flying saucer!



Craft: Rocket Puppets



 I found a rocket coloring sheet that we colored, cut and attached to ½ of an envelope to make a pretty neat puppet.

We had a great crowd today, but not too crazy. This wasn’t my favorite theme to do and the craft wasn't the best but the great books, rhymes and props made it very fun.

One of my toddlers gave me a beautiful picture that I hung in my office. 




No comments:

Post a Comment