Saturday, April 5, 2014

toddler time: Eggs


Our theme for Toddler Time today was EGGS,  and also BIRDS & NESTS

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found an EGG! What color is our egg? White.

I said this little egg rhyme and we opened up our egg:
Hidden inside an egg that is white
Was a small baby bird all tucked in tight.
Then he turned his head round & tapped with his beak
CRACK went his shell and out he peeked!



There was a little baby duck in our egg!

We handed out shaky eggs to everyone and sang two songs:

We shake our eggs together, we shake our eggs together,
we shake our eggs together because its fun to do
We shake them up high,
we shake them down low,
we shake them in the middle.(repeat)

We also sang:
Can you shake your egg with me, egg with me, egg with me
Can you shake your egg with me? Shake it on your knee. (also tummy and head)



Books We Read:
What Will Hatch- Ward (cute but kids seemed a little distracted so I skipped most of the text)
Bring On the Birds- Stockdale (nice but kind of long? This one didn’t grab their attention either today. Maybe it was the rain?)
Nest- Hurley (I was done with books by this point, will try it with my baby class)

Beautiful Bird Rhymes:



Two Little Blackbirds
2 little blackbirds sitting on a hill
One named Jack, one named Jill
Fly away Jack, fly away Jil
Come back Jack, Come back Jill

Way up in the Sky
Way up in the sky
The little birds fly
But down in the nest
The little birds rest

Shhh, they’re sleeping

With a wing on the left
And a wing on the right
The little birds sleep
All thru the night

SHHH!! (quiet)
They’re sleeping (really loud)

The bright sun comes up,
the dew falls away,
"Good morning, good morning!"
the little birds say.



Flannel Story: Three Little Birds (I found this idea here



Three little birds were taking a rest
Way up high in the baby bird nest.
One little bird said I'd like to fly
So he flapped his wings (flap, flap, flap)
And he started to sing(chirp, chirp, chirp)
And away he flew away off into the sky!

(repeat with 2 and 1 birds) So cute!



Flannel Story #2: So Many Eggs

This idea came from Storytime Magic. I was originally going to hide some laminated clipart animals behind felt eggs but after reading this, I decided to use large plastic eggs. When I pulled the animals out, we said the name of the animal.



Craft #1:
First I passed out a bird for each child to color and decorate with feathers.

Craft #2:
Then I came around to each table with brown paper lunch bags. I showed everyone how to cut off the top half & roll down the sides to make a pretty cool nest. I also passed out paper grass and candy malted eggs for the nests.





My class today was kind of unpredictable. They seemed completely uninterested in the book I was reading, then at the end of the story, it seemed like I had their attention again. I may have tried to do too much because by the plastic egg reveal, I felt kind of rushed.

On the plus side, everyone loved the craft and I got many compliments from the parents. One of my favorite crafts ever!

I did my first Magic Envelope Story today! We put bird related objects in the envelope: feathers, wings, beak, nest, some tweet tweets and opened it up to find a beautiful blue bird. Worked great and I will definitely try it again.

I also tried two new jbrary rhymes I’ve been trying to learn: Bananas Unite and the Elevator Song and both went pretty well. SO all things considered, a very full program & a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment