Monday, March 17, 2014

toddler time: penguin fun!


Today's Toddler Time theme also happens to be one of my favorite animals: PENGUINS!

Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found it was empty! But in our big basket, we found an egg!

I'm bringing home a very unusual egg.
Will my mom let me keep it if I beg?
I'm bringing home a very unusual egg.
Crack! Crack! Crack!

Uh-oh! It's hatching! (Open the egg slowly.)
And it's a penguin baby!




I'm bringing home a little penguin baby.
Won't my daddy let me keep it maybe?
I'm bringing home a little penguin baby.
Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!

Oh, look!(Take the penguin out of the egg.)
It's ready to come out & waddle!

My little baby penguin loves to waddle round.
Just watch him go so quickly cross the ground.
My little baby penguin loves to waddle round.
Waddle! Waddle! Waddle!

I found this cute idea on Storytime ABC’s  and I was completely inspired to make my own penguin egg. She posts TONS of great ideas on this blog.

We passed out penguin stick puppets to all the children and we did this rhyme:
Put your penguin UP, put your penguin DOWN
Hold your penguin and turn around!
Put your penguin UP, put your penguin DOWN
Put your penguin down on the ground

We also sang this song as we waved our penguins around like crazy:

The penguins are here, the penguins are there!
the penguins, the penguins are everywhere!

The penguins are up, the penguins are down!
The penguins, the penguins are all around!

The penguins are in, the penguins are out!
the penguins, the penguins are all about!

The penguins go low, the penguins go high
The penguins, the penguins all wave goodbye!





Books We Read:
Penguins, Penguins Everywhere – Barner
I Like It When- Murphy (tried to make this a little interactive)

Also Good for Storytime:
If You Were a Penguin- Minor
Fluff and Billy- Killen



Flannel Story: Five Little Penguins Standing Still by Little Storybug (see this link on youtube for the words and tune!) I purchased these felt penguins on ebay a few years ago; they are also finger puppets.




Puppet: Little Penguin (this song is kind of like Brown Squirrel)

Penguin, penguin, flap your little wings!
Penguin, penguin, flap your little wings!
You eat fish & swim all day
You can’t fly but that’s ok
Penguin, penguin, flap your little wings!


Craft: Paper Penguins - very easy & perfect for toddlers!



I cut the shapes out before class. I found a super easy template to use here but there are lots of nice penguin patterns on the web.

You need a black body, a white oval belly and an orange triangle nose. Add wiggle eyes & some cotton for the belly and you’ve got a really cute penguin!

We had a great group today with about 16 kids. Everyone loved the penguin puppets and songs!

Penguins Part 2 (March 2017)

Additions/Changes to Penguin Toddler Time:

Mystery Box: Folkmanis Penguin puppet



Puppet Song:

Penguin, Penguin, Flap your little wings!
Penguin, Penguin, Flap your little wings!
Eating fish, you swim all day!
You can’t fly but that’s okay!
Penguin, Penguin, Flap your little wings!

Books Read:
Penguins Penguins Everywhere
I Am Small- Dodd 

Right before I read the Dodd book aloud, I asked everyone to repeat the title with me "I Am Small!" Then, whenever that line was repeated in the story, everyone joined in to say it together. It made the story much more interactive!

Flannel Board: Five Little Penguins Standing Still

I love this song and this year's edition was even better! As I removed the penguins from my felt board, I placed them on my small blue flannel board to make this cute scene for the end of the song!

One little penguin standing still
One little penguin slides down the hill
where did he go?
WAIT I KNOW!
with all the other penguins playing in the snow!



What did the penguin make? a snowman!

Craft: penguins from craftypammy.com


These were a little more difficult than our usual crafts but just so cute! I prepped for 40 penguins and it was a lot of cutting (bodies, feet, noses, mouths, bellies, wings! used reinforcement stickers for eyes!) 

Then, over 30 children showed up for our first session and I knew there was not enough penguin pieces left for the 11:15 group. Luckily some of my fabulous coworkers cut more bellies and bodies for me but the second session penguins were a little more "streamlined" (with no wings or feet but still adorable!)

Great theme!! Loved my flannel board and puppet song!

No comments:

Post a Comment