Saturday, March 1, 2014

toddler time: ready, set, snow!


Our theme for Toddler Time today was SNOWMEN! (am I a little late for this theme? I know many people do this topic in December/January but we still have snow on the ground and more is on the way, so I think snowmen are perfectly ok for February also!)


Mystery Box: When we opened the yellow box, we found a felt snowman. What color are his hat & scarf? Green! 

We passed out snowman stick puppets to all the children and we did this rhyme:
Put your snowman UP, put your snowman DOWN
Hold your snowman and turn around!
Put your snowman UP, put your snowman  DOWN
Put your snowman down on the ground.


Books We Read:
Snowballs – Ehlert
Mouse’s First Snow- Thompson (this book is so adorable that upon finishing it, I suddenly announced to the room, " I love snow!" Then, after realizing this was a complete and utter lie, I whispered to the adults "that's actually not true at all!" Kind of funny!)
On the First Day of Winter- Fleming (we didn't use this one today but its great for this theme)

Spectacular Snowman Songs & Rhymes:

Song: I’m a Little Snowman (from one of the BEST blogs ever: Jbrary)

I’m a little snowman short and fat
Here are my buttons, here is my hat
When the sun comes out, I can’t stay
Slowly I just melt away!



Flannel Story: Five Little Snowmen (from Miss Tracy at Little Story Bug -- LOVE HER!)


5 little snowmen made of snow
5 little snowmen in a row
Out came the sun & it shone all day (I show my sunshine puppet for this line)
And one little snowman (shake bells)
Melted away! (replace snowman with blue puddle)





Repeat till all snowmen have turned to puddles.


Puppet Rhyme: The Snowman & the Bunny




I built a little snowman
With a carrot for a nose
Along came a bunny
And what do you suppose?
That hungry little bunny
Looking for his lunch
Ate the snowman’s carrot nose
Nibble nibble crunch!

My snowman puppet reverses to a nose-less snowman so all the parents laughed when I flipped him over at the end.




Craft #1: coloring the snowmen puppets we passed out at the beginning of the program

Craft #2: Shaving cream snowmen (sensory bags)




SO easy! Take a small ziplock bag, draw a snowman smile with black marker. I passed out eyes and noses for the kids to glue and tape on to complete the face. I sprayed shaving cream into each baggie. Once you seal it, it looks just like a snowman’s face! Tape it up or you'll have a huge shaving cream mess LOL!




GREAT class today, I was very happy with my felt story and puppet songs, and the sensory bag craft was different and so fun to make!


No comments:

Post a Comment