Tuesday, February 4, 2014

toddler time: Mittens & Kittens!


Our theme for Toddler Time today was MITTENS! And also CATS! 

Mystery Box: We found a mitten in the yellow box today! What color is our mitten? Red!

We passed out paper mittens to each child for our next rhyme:
Put your mitten UP, put your mitten DOWN
Hold your mitten and turn around!
Put your mitten UP, put your mitten DOWN
Put your mitten down on the ground.



Books We Read:
One Mitten- George
Knitty Kitty- Elliott
The Jacket I Wear In The Snow- Neitzel



Marvelous Mitten Rhymes Rhymes:

Mittens on My Hands (Sung To: 'Wheels on the Bus')
The mittens on my hands
Keep me warm
Keep me warm
Keep me warm
The mittens on my hands
Keep me warm
All Winter long!

Mittens for Snow Time
Mittens, mittens for the snow time, when the world is white. 
Mittens for my two hands, (hold up hands) 
Mittens left and right (show left & right) 
Mittens with a thumb place (show thumb) 
Mittens warm and snug 
Mittens make me feel like a bug inside a rug (hug self)

Both rhymes above found on everythingpreschool.com. The ones below are from hummingbirded.com

Mitten Fingerplay 
by Lucia Kemp Henry
Here is a mitten,                    (hold up one hand) 
A snug, fuzzy one-                 (rub palms together) 
With a place for my fingers     (wiggle 4 fingers) 
And a place for my thumb        (wiggle thumb)
Here are two mittens,              (hold up two hands) 
A colorful sight.                       (hands back and forth) 
One for the left hand                (hold up left hand) 
One for the right.                     (hold up right hand)
Here are OUR mittens,              (hold up two hands) 
As soft as can be                      (stroke the back of one hand) 
A warm pair for you                   (point to the neighbor) 
And a warm pair for me             (point to yourself)

Putting On Mittens 
(Tune: The Farmer In the Dell) 
The thumb in the thumb place, 
Fingers all together! 
This is the song we sing 
When it is mitten weather


Flannel Story: Colorful Mittens


This set was purchased on ebay a few years back.


My poor little kitten lost her mitten
And started to cry boo hoo
So I helped my kitten to look for her mitten
Her beautiful mitten of BLUE!

I found a mitten just right for a kitten
Under my mothers bed
But that little mitten was not the right mitten
For it was the color RED

I found a mitten just right for a kitten
Under my father’s pillow
But that little mitten was not the right mitten
For it was the color YELLOW

I found a mitten just right for a kitten
On the hand of my brother’s toy clown
But that little mitten was not the right mitten
For it was the color BROWN

I found a mitten just right for a kitten
Under the laundry so clean
But that little mitten was not the right mitten
For it was the color GREEN

I found a mitten just right for a kitten
Under the kitchen sink
But that little mitten was not the right mitten
For it was the color PINK

I found a mitten just right for a kitten
Inside my favorite shoe
But that little mitten was just the right mitten
For it was the color BLUE!




Puppet Rhyme #1: The Mitten in the Snow



I purchased these adorable finger puppets on Etsy. Then I made a big felt mitten to hold them. This was a little long for my toddlers today. Next time,  maybe leave out a couple of animals.

(tune: Farmer in the Dell) 
The mitten on the ground. 
The mitten on the ground. 
Heigh-ho! It's cold outside. 
The mitten on the ground.

The (mole) snuggles in. 
The (mole) snuggles in. 
Heigh-ho! It's cold outside. 
The (mole) snuggles in. 

Repeat with rabbit, fox, owl, badger, hedgehog, mouse and bear.
After the last animal, pretend to sneeze and make all animals fall out of the mitten.


Puppet Rhyme #2: Hedgehog

I brought out Mr Hedgehog for some Peekaboo and my favorite new rhyme, Roly Poly (see this post).

Mr Hedgehog is feeling shy today! He’s all covered up in his green blanket. Let’s see if we can get him to come out.

(tune for both songs is Are You Sleeping?)
Where is Hedgehog? Where is Hedgehog?
Here I am, here I am.
How are you today sir? Very well I thank you.
Come and play!

Then we do this rhyme with Mr Hedgehog:
Roly poly, roly poly
Up up up! Up up up!
Roly roly poly! Roly roly poly!
Down down down! Down down down!

Repeat with Out & In and Fast & Slow.


Craft: Kittens with Mittens


I found this cute craft on an awesome blog called Jen in the Library.



I printed the kitty head on orange card stock. I cut the body & the mittens from construction paper before the program and hole punched everything to make things a little easier. Everyone loved their kitties!

We had a wonderful group today! Mr Hedgehog & the craft were today's highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment